username5492608
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone. I applied for ling at Newnham. Just finished the test today and was shocked to find that many applicants to Newnham for the same course on Zoom. I seldom found another one in the other threads, and I have REALLY tried...

Anyway. How are the fellow linguists doing after that assessment? Is anyone else psyched about next week’s interview?

Feel free to chat it up!
Last edited by username5492608; 1 month ago
cb40
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did it this morning as well! Do you know if all the Linguistics applicants do the assessment together or is it by college? If that makes sense lol
username5492608
Rep:
?
(Original post by cb40)
I did it this morning as well! Do you know if all the Linguistics applicants do the assessment together or is it by college? If that makes sense lol
I’m pretty sure it’s by college, at least that’s the case for me and for some of my friends (so far Newnham, Trinity, Downing), because the invigilator was from the college you applied to.

Where did you apply? :-)
cb40
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by luxynsun)
I’m pretty sure it’s by college, at least that’s the case for me and for some of my friends (so far Newnham, Trinity, Downing), because the invigilator was from the college you applied to.

Where did you apply? :-)
I applied to corpus! Was just shocked to see a few there haha, haven't found anyone applying to corpus for Linguistics!!
paintpaintpaint
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Does anyone want to make/join a CamLing2021 discord server? Could be fun.
Discord is squoli#4873, if you want to add me.

Applying for Magdalene, btw
paintpaintpaint
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paintpaintpaint)
Hi,

Does anyone want to make/join a CamLing2021 discord server? Could be fun.
Discord is squoli#4873, if you want to add me.

Applying for Magdalene, btw
Okay, so I literally just clicked the "create a server" button, but it's something:

https://discord.gg/TdhHNzH9Pf

Link will never expire. Join if you want.
etakate
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied for John's for Linguistics! The admissions test went so well, I'm so happy. How did everyone else find it?
paintpaintpaint
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by etakate)
I applied for John's for Linguistics! The admissions test went so well, I'm so happy. How did everyone else find it?
Good! Section 1 was much easier than expected, and I think the essay topic was really nice. Didn't quite have the time to write EVERYTHING I wanted to, but I reckon I still have enough there to do well.
etakate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good! Section 1 was much easier than expected, and I think the essay topic was really nice. Didn't quite have the time to write EVERYTHING I wanted to, but I reckon I still have enough there to do well.
That's awesome! I definitely found the Singaporean section the most difficult, it was hard to know what to say. I think I completed everything just in the nick of time. I'm glad it went well for you! What made you choose Magdalene?
paintpaintpaint
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's awesome! I definitely found the Singaporean section the most difficult, it was hard to know what to say. I think I completed everything just in the nick of time. I'm glad it went well for you! What made you choose Magdalene?
Glad it went well for you too!

I chose Magdalene because I didn't really want to go to a big college (I prefer smaller groups of people idk) and because it looked really nice when I visited.

Plus, you see them on University Challenge a lot, and one of my ultimate dreams is to compete in that!
ren003
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone. I applied for ling at Newnham. Just finished the test today and was shocked to find that many applicants to Newnham for the same course on Zoom. I seldom found another one in the other threads, and I have REALLY tried...

Anyway. How are the fellow linguists doing after that assessment? Is anyone else psyched about next week’s interview?

Feel free to chat it up!
hey omg!! i was looking for prospective linguistics applicants so im glad that i found this thread..
the assessment wasn't bad but i didn't have enough time to properly consolidate and write down my thoughts for the essay section:,(
i've also applied to queen's and there's only three other applicants apart from me, but i do have an interview next monday so that's exciting i guess haha
hbu the rest of u guys?
paintpaintpaint
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ren003)
hey omg!! i was looking for prospective linguistics applicants so im glad that i found this thread..
the assessment wasn't bad but i didn't have enough time to properly consolidate and write down my thoughts for the essay section:,(
i've also applied to queen's and there's only three other applicants apart from me, but i do have an interview next monday so that's exciting i guess haha
hbu the rest of u guys?
My interview is on Monday also, 2 days to go!

I'm honestly quite excited. I don't get to talk about linguistics very much. Not to people who are actually listening, anyway... lol

My school ran a mock interview for me, and that's made me feel quite a bit more confident. To practice, I've basically been talking the ears off of anyone around - family, friends, pets, the birds, the sky etc etc
Last edited by paintpaintpaint; 1 month ago
ren003
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My interview is on Monday also, 2 days to go!

I'm honestly quite excited. I don't get to talk about linguistics very much. Not to people who are actually listening, anyway... lol

My school ran a mock interview for me, and that's made me feel quite a bit more confident. To practice, I've basically been talking the ears off of anyone around - family, friends, pets, the birds, the sky etc etc
ohh yeah it really is exciting, it's interesting cause we can actually sit down and talk to people who share the same interests as us haha
and that's great! i'm doing a mock interview later today and i've got some advice from a family friend who does interview training as well
don't worry i've been practising a lot too... im a little scared hehe
etakate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Glad it went well for you too!

I chose Magdalene because I didn't really want to go to a big college (I prefer smaller groups of people idk) and because it looked really nice when I visited.

Plus, you see them on University Challenge a lot, and one of my ultimate dreams is to compete in that!
That's awesome! I grew up watching University Challenge (My dad is a lecturer in business at our city's uni) so I completely get that Magdalene is really beautiful.
etakate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hbu the rest of u guys?
Same here! So glad this thread was made. I'm not sure how many John's applicants there are this year for Linguistics, I've not seen anyone else actually; hey to any if they see this
I ended up doing the essay second instead of the data because I knew I'd be able to get quite a chunk of marks even if I flopped the Singapore section. I did a mock exam at school with the 2017 paper and I got 61/90, so I'm pretty hopeful! I'm sure you did amazing!! Don't worry about that. My interviews on Monday and I'm super stressed!
username5492608
Rep:
?
Same here! So glad this thread was made. I'm not sure how many John's applicants there are this year for Linguistics, I've not seen anyone else actually; hey to any if they see this
I ended up doing the essay second instead of the data because I knew I'd be able to get quite a chunk of marks even if I flopped the Singapore section. I did a mock exam at school with the 2017 paper and I got 61/90, so I'm pretty hopeful! I'm sure you did amazing!! Don't worry about that. My interviews on Monday and I'm super stressed!
i think this year newnham's probably got 12 or so candidates. they usually don't take more than two so the competition is rly tough.
it's interesting that john's only got 1 this year. wish you good luck!
etakate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i think this year newnham's probably got 12 or so candidates. they usually don't take more than two so the competition is rly tough.
Definitely! It's a primarily languages college right? Are you applying to Newnham? (Good luck either way!! Sure you won't need it ) I think there'll be at least two or three based on past application statistics; Hopefully I don't get pooled My only other favourites were Lucy and Fitzwilliam.
ren003
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
aah that's a really good approach! i should have done that...
and that's really good! i'm sure you've done well in the admissions assessment then. i hope so too though! i'm preparing hard for my interview tomorrow for now, don't stress about it i'm sure you'll do amazing what time is your interview? mine is at 2:30
ren003
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i do know that newnham is quite a popular college though, but we know you did your best - meaning you did amazing! they'll definitely look at your interview as well, so don't stress about it.
username5492608
Rep:
?
i do know that newnham is quite a popular college though, but we know you did your best - meaning you did amazing! they'll definitely look at your interview as well, so don't stress about it.
awh thank you! wish you the best for tmr!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (259)
56.55%
I don't have everything I need (199)
43.45%

Watched Threads