Toothache/filling

Watch
Jessbarnes_19
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I clean my teeth religiously every day and only drink water without eating many sugary foods, yet I went to the dentist today with some toothache and I need two fillings, how can I prevent this or why is it happening, thanks.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
a lot of foods contain sugar without us being aware of it.

fruit and milk for instance.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...e-tooth-decay/
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by the bear)
a lot of foods contain sugar without us being aware of it.

fruit and milk for instance.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...e-tooth-decay/
Although natural fruits and milk which hasn’t been sweetened won’t be the ones causing tooth decay
Milk shakes and fruit juices on the other hand...
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hidden sugars are for me a war on health that is going on

Read the labels on absolutely everything you buy. You will be astonished at how much sugar there is in everything.

Some things to note:

1. A teaspoon full of sugar equates to 4g
So when you read the sugar content on labels divide by 4 to see how many teaspoonfuls of sugar there are

2. Sugar is sugar. It may take different forms but the chemical formula is essentially the same
There are three monosaccharides - Glucose, Fructose and Galactose
and three disaccharides sucrose, lactose, and maltose.

read those labels and be VERY discriminating about what you eat and drink and buy

3. TONS of food and drink that purports to be healthy, that advertises itself as healthy, is imo very much not so

Some products to think about.

A standard 1 litre carton of supermarket Apple Juice contains about 21 teaspoonfuls of sugar !

A standard 500g pot of Natural Yoghurt contains about 8-9 teaspoonfuls of sugar

Those tiny little pots of Yakult contain approx 2 teaspoonfuls of sugar

Little 100g pots of Actimel yoghurt contain 3 teaspoonfuls of sugar

A typical 400g tin of chopped tomatoes contains about 4 teaspoonfuls of sugar

Note that in many cases this is not "added sugar" it is sugar naturally occurring in the ingredients but it is nevertheless sugar

It all adds up. You'll find that on a daily basis we are most of us eating huge numbers of teaspoonfuls of sugars. It's one of the reasons for obesity.

Essentially manufacturers dump it in there to make us think the product tastes good because sugar stimulates our pleasure receptors in the brain. It basically fools us. We eat the product and think "hey this is nice" without really knowing why. It's because of the high and totally unnecessary sugar content. It's effectively a system of making junkies out of people. Little different than putting crack cocaine in foods which if it were legal, I'm sure they would do. Sugar is massively addictive, massively harmful to your body's systems and will erode your health over time.

So read the labels, opt only for foods that come out of the ground or directly from animals and which have not been processed or had sugars added.

It's ok to eat some products with naturally occurring sugars but be aware of the total amount you are taking in.

All this said your dental problems may have nothing at all to do with sugars. You may be eating or drinking something corrosive like having lots of cola in your drinks (which is basically just acid) or you might be eating lots of citrus fruit like lemons and grapefruits. You may also simply have some kind of bacteria in your mouth which is causing the problem.

I personally don't believe in lots of brushing of teeth with conventional toothpastes. It's not a natural process. Your body creates saliva which should maintain the right levels of acidity in your mouth. If it is not doing so then you are eating an excess of certain types of food or drink imo.

You'll have to work out what that is. Ask your dentist for his view.
Last edited by PilgrimOfTruth; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.35%
October 2021 (215)
45.17%
November 2021 (54)
11.34%
December 2021 (62)
13.03%
January 2021 (54)
11.34%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.61%