username5502072
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone
I’m a bit worried I won’t get into uni this year I have ok grades predicted As in my advanced highers and got 3As in s5, I have very little confidence about anything lol I never done higher English last year but I am doing it this year in s6 and I’m worried that’s what will get me rejected. I’m very pessimistic I’ll get any As this year or in English which I know I need. Overall I’m just really concerned I won’t get in lol. I’m applying for history at stirling, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and probably another idk what one yet
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you’ll be fine, you have two absolute top uni’s, one fractionally just below those whilst still a top top place, and Stirling - the most beautiful campus uni in the whole of the UK - which usually has a perfect ‘average’ entrance requirement, great teaching place.

You just need a guaranteed ‘safety-zone’ such as a uni where they aren’t that worried about grades - where they do good teaching and look after the students. My suggestion would be UWS, Paisley or Ayr? Oops, they only seem to teach EFL, but I just gave a quick glance...
so then I’d suggest Napier https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/ba-...duate-fulltime
Needs BCC, excellent, if monolithic place.

Or still in Ed’ QMU?, nope - closest to English they have is ‘international tourism’ so heading towards the North Pole a bit, let’s try RGU...nope, closest that particular Aberdeen uni gets is ‘Digital Marketing’

Trying the other far-north uni gets an amazing twenty+ themed English degrees, Aberdeen typically BBB entry, https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergr.../Q300/english/

but coming back down south to Dundee, one of my favourite degrees is their combined Liberal Arts, including English https://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergradua...y-requirements
BBB typically, but look at what you can choose from:-
Modules include:

Creative Writing
Economics
English
Environmental Science
Environmental Sustainability
European Languages
Film Studies
Geography
History
International Business
Philosophy
Politics & International Relations
Psychology
Urban Planning
We work hard to combine tradition with innovation. You can study anything from Shakespeare to human rights, science fiction to African history, macroeconomics to polar environments

You will certainly have some interesting choices to make & enjoy
(All the entry grades I gave above were ‘A’-levels, as I don’t quite understand Highers yet)
Last edited by LuigiMario; 1 month ago
username5502072
Rep:
?
Wow Thank you so much!! I’ll definitely have a look at the unis you have suggested! I’m just so scared and nervous lol I think if I manage to get my higher English then I could be ok but I’m worried the unis will reject me just on the basis I don’t have it yet/ haven’t done it. I think stirling is definitely one of my top choices as it seems like such a lovely place. I can try kinda explain highers it’s like a mix of GCSEs and a levels apparently but advanced highers are harder than a levels it’s quite confusing and we only do it over 1 year. Advanced highers are optional which is why the entry grades are normally just highers for university.
Last edited by username5502072; 1 month ago
Unihelp43
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Honeyhoney1)
Hi everyone
I’m a bit worried I won’t get into uni this year I have ok grades predicted As in my advanced highers and got 3As in s5, I have very little confidence about anything lol I never done higher English last year but I am doing it this year in s6 and I’m worried that’s what will get me rejected. I’m very pessimistic I’ll get any As this year or in English which I know I need. Overall I’m just really concerned I won’t get in lol. I’m applying for history at stirling, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and probably another idk what one yet
Hi don’t worry and goooood luck!! How many advance highers are u doing this year and what subjects are they? Also what subjects did you get you 3As in last year, well done for them!! I don’t think it’ll be that huge an issue if I’m being honest - I think as long as you’ve got it that’s all that matters! Good luck on your application!! You can do it!!
username5502072
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unihelp43)
Hi don’t worry and goooood luck!! How many advance highers are u doing this year and what subjects are they? Also what subjects did you get you 3As in last year, well done for them!! I don’t think it’ll be that huge an issue if I’m being honest - I think as long as you’ve got it that’s all that matters! Good luck on your application!! You can do it!!
Aww thank you so much 😊! Last year I done biology- C modern studies, history and health and food technology-A
I’m doing 2 advanced Highers this year which are history and modern studies.
Unihelp43
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aww thank you so much 😊! Last year I done biology- C modern studies, history and health and food technology-A
I’m doing 2 advanced Highers this year which are history and modern studies.
They sound really good! Hopefully your application is okay! It’s such a scary time isn’t it!?
username5502072
Rep:
?
They sound really good! Hopefully your application is okay! It’s such a scary time isn’t it!?
It’s such a scary time everyone is so nervous and I can feel it lol. Are you applying this year ?
Unihelp43
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s such a scary time everyone is so nervous and I can feel it lol. Are you applying this year ?
Yeah I’m applying for law and English at Glasgow I’m soooo scared I don’t get in!!!
username5502072
Rep:
?
Yeah I’m applying for law and English at Glasgow I’m soooo scared I don’t get in!!!
Omg I was going to apply for law I was committed then decied I would like it 😂.A few of my friends have applied for law this year so I understand the struggle lol. I’m sure you will get in and your going to do amazing!! Good luck! Also I think they are just giving offers to English/ international applicants now I think we need to wait ages until after the deadline I’m just so impatient!
Unihelp43
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Omg I was going to apply for law I was committed then decied I would like it 😂.A few of my friends have applied for law this year so I understand the struggle lol. I’m sure you will get in and your going to do amazing!! Good luck! Also I think they are just giving offers to English/ international applicants now I think we need to wait ages until after the deadline I’m just so impatient!
omggg ahahhaha we could have been in the same course!! Awwww thank you!!!! I’m beyond impatient and I’m so scared I don’t get into uni I just need to know now!!!! Are you applying anywhere else?!
username5502072
Rep:
?
omggg ahahhaha we could have been in the same course!! Awwww thank you!!!! I’m beyond impatient and I’m so scared I don’t get into uni I just need to know now!!!! Are you applying anywhere else?!
I feel exactly the same I feel like I’m just going to get rejected lol. I’m sure you won’t get rejected though! I’m applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, stirling and Strathclyde for history I have sent it off but I think I’m going to add another option.
Unihelp43
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi did you hear back?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (35)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (61)
29.61%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (79)
38.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.43%

Watched Threads