Can I leave a fixed term contract a month early?

Watch
HistoHoppers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been invited for a job interview - so I haven't actually got the job yet or anything. The thing is, the job is fixed term until next October, and I've recently been accepted on to a teaching course for 2021 which would start in September. I applied for the job before knowing I'd be accepted, so now I'm a bit stuck because I would like the job but I would have to leave a month early.

Is this something I could do, and should I mention it in the interview? Or should I just decline the job now?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HistoHoppers)
I've been invited for a job interview - so I haven't actually got the job yet or anything. The thing is, the job is fixed term until next October, and I've recently been accepted on to a teaching course for 2021 which would start in September. I applied for the job before knowing I'd be accepted, so now I'm a bit stuck because I would like the job but I would have to leave a month early.

Is this something I could do, and should I mention it in the interview? Or should I just decline the job now?
Yes. Take the job and then just give the correct level of notice.
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Yes, you can leave a job whenever you like if you give the required notice (max a month). It's fixed term only in the sense that it doesn't carry on after the end date (ie it's not permanent)
It would be polite to tell them now and leaving only a month early is unlikely to make them decide against you.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

As long as you give them the required amount of notice that you are going to leave, you can leave whenever you like. Check the contract but the notice required when leaving is usually 2-4 weeks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads