The Student Room Group

Best college at Cambridge

For studying natural sciences, being a girl at a private school what is the best college to apply for at Cambridge?
There isn't a best college as such, especially not academically. The course is taught centrally and the only difference between colleges is the supervisions. When you pick a college, you'll do it based off of the feel of the college, where it is, what it looks like, if you think you'll fit into it, etc. There's a few websites you can use to research this, but I found it useful watching YouTube videos of the colleges when I was deciding :smile:
It is not based on that particularly! Do your research and have a look! x
Reply 3
Depends. If you want a rich college with the greatest pressure to study, can't go wrong with St John's or Trinity. If you want a small close-knit group, go Peterhouse or Pembroke. If you want an edgy, left-leaning political atmosphere, go Kings. If you want big open lawns, big student population and more of a social scene, go Homerton. If you just want a pretty average student population with decent grounds and a decent social scene, pick Selwyn or Emmanuel or Corpus or Tit Hall etc etc.
they all have different characteristics. there are many websites which show you the differences, so might be best to do some research
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by issy.rrrrrrrr
For studying natural sciences, being a girl at a private school what is the best college to apply for at Cambridge?

The type of school you've been to shouldn't influence your decision in my opinion.

Cambridge isn't what it used to be regarding lefty colleges and elitist colleges, that's much less important than it ever was. There's some traces left but not much.

And thank god for that!

I had mates from across the spectrum of backgrounds and education back in the 1990s. The only shock I got back then, was meeting a friend in the Peterhouse college bar when their rugby team were having some sort of drunken initiation. There are *images* I will never get out of my head from that encounter. Hanging around Peterhouse these days and its a much different vibe.

There are big colleges, and smaller colleges. There are edgier colleges and more traditional colleges. There are some with a slant towards certain subjects... But your own educational and social background should be much of a factor any more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending