The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Jamsie_853
I know UCL is very high risk that is for sure!
Yes, possibly, but the object of my original post was not prevent people from ever getting a rejection at all! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, after all.

Looks to me like you have a pretty good balance there, and even if UCL did reject you I very much doubt all the others will!
With the huge amount of straight-A's applicants out there, there seems to be a competition at the top 15 universities.
Even the ones who ask for let's say AAB for 100 places at a course, will settle for at least 90 straight-A's applicants.
It's just weird for someone who achieved top/quite good grades at A-level to be anxious and nervous for applying to a university.
I guess it all comes down to the personal statement and the person in general, when a university is to decide who to accept.

And mark my words, this whole UCAS/Increasing Uni's asking for top grades system will somewhere, sometime fail.
We will end up having 50 asking for top grades.

Scary huh?
Reply 162
andyms
With the huge amount of straight-A's applicants out there, there seems to be a competition at the top 15 universities.
Even the ones who ask for let's say AAB for 100 places at a course, will settle for at least 90 straight-A's applicants.
It's just weird for someone who achieved top/quite good grades at A-level to be anxious and nervous for applying to a university.
I think it is more like the top 10 that are ultra-competitive (i.e. the 11 unis in the AAB.1 and above groups). Once you get to the AAB.2 group it is more reasonable. So if you are anxious and nervous you could add in an AAB.2 uni. Check out my sig thread for more info.

andyms

I guess it all comes down to the personal statement and the person in general, when a university is to decide who to accept.
Yes the PS is important as it (unlike exam marks however high) can show that you have an interest in economics.

andyms
And mark my words, this whole UCAS/Increasing Uni's asking for top grades system will somewhere, sometime fail.
We will end up having 50 asking for top grades.

Scary huh?

I am not sure there is that much of an upward trend in economics:
Are there any versions of this table for earlier years?
I was inspired in this undertaking by the 2007 Entry Requirements post produced by Werty675. So I fully acknowledge my debt there.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...# post6282645

Significant changes since then include :
Down:
-Bristol is AAB instead of AAA

Up:
+Durham is AAA instead of AAB
++SOAS is AAB instead of BBB
+Leeds is AAB instead of ABB
+Manchester is AAB instead of ABB
+Sussex is ABB instead of BBB
+Essex is ABB instead of BBB
+East Anglia is ABB instead of BBB
+Reading is ABB instead of BBB
+Kent is BBB instead of BBC
+Aberystwyth is BBC instead of BCC
+Heriot-Watt is BCC instead of CCC
+Stirling is BCC instead of CCC
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184

and if we look at the distribution of actual tariffs achieved they are lower not higher in 06/07 c.f. 05/06.

i.e. the positive number mean more students have lower tariffs.
(see the Change in Tariff Accumulation page of the TAELT spreadsheet for the full report).
That was quite interesting and helpful Paul. Thank you.
silver_j
If you really don't want to go to a uni with a lower offer then don't bother applying for it just as a safety net. I think your choices are pretty decent as they are.

Minerva
I'm inclined to agree, with your profile. Just make sure that PS is first class!

Thanks for the advice, I feel a bit more reassured now! You're right, if I don't want to go to a uni there's no point in applying there just to get a 'guaranteed' offer. Makes sense, really.
Does anyone know of a good back up for medicine....im applying Manchester leeds Liverpool and was thinking of nottingham....but all sept liverpool are quite hard n competitive...i have 6A*'s 6A's 1B n predicted all A's....but i rly dnt want to get rejected from everywehre...please help
When applying to maths, is the personal statement a huge deciding factor?
because I dont think mine is too amazing...
I got AAAAA as as level and am applying to Oxford, Bath, Imperial and Southampton, would it be wise to put Warkwick as my 5th choice? or should I put a less competitive one?
Its so confusing!
Reply 167
LizzBrowne
When applying to maths, is the personal statement a huge deciding factor?
because I dont think mine is too amazing...
I got AAAAA as as level and am applying to Oxford, Bath, Imperial and Southampton, would it be wise to put Warkwick as my 5th choice? or should I put a less competitive one?
Its so confusing!

Well Warwick make a standard offer to "all" maths applicants:
Standard Offers for Admission in September 2009

Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) B b 2

Offer 2: A(M) a(FM) A B 2

Offer 3: A(M) A A a 2

2 denotes grade 2 in a Maths STEP or AEA paper. (M) (FM) denote Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
UPPER/lower case letters denote grades in A/AS-level.
Which of these offers you receive depends on whether your UCAS form indicates that you are taking Further Maths to A-level or AS or neither (and not on whether it mentions STEP/AEA). We encourage applicants taking A2 Further Mathematics to include at least four of the Further Pure and Mechanics units among their 12 units because these are good preparation for our course. If your school does not offer Further Maths consider the Further Maths Network.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer
thanks for that :smile:
Im just worried that I may not get a lot of offers because most of my choices are pretty competitive.
What do they base the offer on?
grades, or more on the personal statement?
Reply 169
LizzBrowne
thanks for that :smile:
Im just worried that I may not get a lot of offers because most of my choices are pretty competitive.
What do they base the offer on?
grades, or more on the personal statement?

Well as I said before Warwick give nearly everyone the same offer.
For other places I would guss that both are important. But that Maths marks are extra important.

Also when I applied Imperial and UCL both interviewed me.

Do you study Further Maths? Do you think you can meet the Warwick offer?
how did you do in your as's?
i study further maths, maths, chemistry and biologyy.
if i work damn hard i could :smile:
I would love to go to imperial, did you go there?
Reply 171
LizzBrowne
how did you do in your as's?
i study further maths, maths, chemistry and biologyy.
if i work damn hard i could :smile:
I would love to go to imperial, did you go there?

I went to Warwick. (as my sig says):
University of Warwick Bsc Maths 91-94

And as you may now have worked out that was before AS-levels!

Warwick is very good for maths. e.g..I would put it above Imperial. (And I did in 90/91 as both made me offers).

I had Southampton as my Insurance.
Do they still want BBC?
Reply 172
I'm getting cold feet again...someone reassure me or something?!
Reply 173
It's ironic how just when my results matter i fail to get straight A's ^^
Can I ask if you think I'm over-reaching with my options...?
For my AS levels I got aaab (An A in Biology, Chem & Maths, and a B in computing, which I've dropped)
I'm predicted AAA for A2, which I'm pretty confident I'll get.

I'm applying for Biochemistry at the following, except for Cambridge where it's Natural Sciences;
Cambridge - AAA
ICL - AAB
Bristol - AAB
Manchester - AAB-BBB
Warwick - ABB/BBB

I'm not sure how competitive Biochemistry is, so don't know if I should maybe swap one out for a less-applied-to university?
Thanks for any advice ^_^
Reply 175
I'm worried also. I've send my application just 2 days ago and I am worried about my choices and actually getting a conditional offer. My personal statement was ok and was checked by alot of teachers and they liked it but I didn't think it was the best.

GCSEs: A*A*AAABBBBB
AS: AB (238/300), C (BBC) and C (dropped)
A2 predictions: AAB (B= said I can do better by teacher) didnt understand economics properly in my first year

Uni choices for LLB M100 Law:
UCL
Kings College
SOAS
LSE
Westminster

What you think.. advice is needed. Thanks
hey, if somebody could give me some advice, i would really appreciate it!
I really want to apply for Russian and English lit, but i am not doing an a level in a foreign language.. most uni's i've looked at seem to say 'preferably' having one would be good, but really, what does this mean?? Oh and I did do Spanish at GCSE if that would help in any way, and for AS i got AAAB, and predicted AAA. (english lit, history, politics) thanks!
Reply 177
crushoftheyear
hey, if somebody could give me some advice, i would really appreciate it!
I really want to apply for Russian and English lit, but i am not doing an a level in a foreign language.. most uni's i've looked at seem to say 'preferably' having one would be good, but really, what does this mean?? Oh and I did do Spanish at GCSE if that would help in any way, and for AS i got AAAB, and predicted AAA. (english lit, history, politics) thanks!

if you want to study russian, you would have needed to study it at A level....
oh.. most places i've looked at say you can enter having never learnt it before?? :s
Reply 179
crushoftheyear
oh.. most places i've looked at say you can enter having never learnt it before?? :s

most unis do require you having studied the subject at a level, but if the ones you looked at said it would be ok, then i guess it would....but you would have had an advantage if you studied it at a level...

Latest

Trending

Trending