Report Thread starter 1 month ago
N-a
Last edited by csmith20; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If yr mum didn't have a space to merge into she likely should have stayed in her lane/backed off rather than try and cut off a truck I suspect. Trucks tend to always have right of way in these situations, purely because they are trucks.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by csmith20)
Would appreciate some advice because I feel a bit rubbish. My mother was driving along today trying to enter a lane (vehicle was slightly poking in) but a lorry refused to give her any room and kept driving, ended up scraping up the side. The lorry was clearly able to see her and was just driving without regard. It was very slow moving as it was a traffic jam near traffic lights so no heavy impact but just ignorant driving.

Are there any steps that could be taken? Anything to be done?
Why was she bullying her way in exactly?
csmith20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
If yr mum didn't have a space to merge into she likely should have stayed in her lane/backed off rather than try and cut off a truck I suspect. Trucks tend to always have right of way in these situations, purely because they are trucks.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I’m not sure if it was cutting the lorry off as it was all so slow moving. Does the lorry’s right of way extend to actually continuing when they can see a car entering the lane? Plenty of cars were merging into the same lane but this lorry just happened to decide not to stop.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I’m not sure if it was cutting the lorry off as it was all so slow moving. Does the lorry’s right of way extend to actually continuing when they can see a car entering the lane? Plenty of cars were merging into the same lane but this lorry just happened to decide not to stop.
The lorry does not have to give way. Your mum shouldn't have pushed her way in.
csmith20
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
The lorry does not have to give way. Your mum shouldn't have pushed her way in.
So to clarify, if a lorry sees a car entering with a safe amount of room, it has a legal right to just keep going and scrape past the car to keep its place?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would appreciate some advice because I feel a bit rubbish. My mother was driving along today trying to enter a lane (vehicle was slightly poking in) but a lorry refused to give her any room and kept driving, ended up scraping up the side. The lorry was clearly able to see her and was just driving without regard. It was very slow moving as it was a traffic jam near traffic lights so no heavy impact but just ignorant driving.

Are there any steps that could be taken? Anything to be done?
Did she indicate?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So to clarify, if a lorry sees a car entering with a safe amount of room, it has a legal right to just keep going and scrape past the car to keep its place?
It's completely entitled to not let you in. I'd imagine an insurer would find your mum 100% liable as the onus is on her to merge safely.. not be a **** and push her way in (especially in front of a lorry!)
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others said, It doesn't sound like your mum had any right to enter the lane ahead of the lorry, I'm not going to comment on whether the lorry is specifically right or what they did or did not see as they can have bad spot (I drive a small low slung black car, i tend to extra careful picking my way around heavy vehicles, as i am toty and easy-ish to miss)

Plenty of people do this semi aggressive forced merging thing and my boss is really bad for it, but at the end of the day if the other driver won't yield you need to back off into your own lane. There's either a clear space to move into or their isn't and this sounds like 'isn't', you can't just keeping going 1/3rd in the lane and hope for the best.

As said, I'm not to sure about the truck, but it deffo sounds like your mum was the one who put herself in a dangerous situation (with a truck)

csmith20
Rep:
?
It's completely entitled to not let you in. I'd imagine an insurer would find your mum 100% liable as the onus is on her to merge safely.. not be a **** and push her way in (especially in front of a lorry!)
Irrespective of the circumstances from today, to clarify (again) based on what you’ve said - if a vehicle cuts you up when you have right of way, you’re entitled to just keep going as though they aren’t there? There’s a difference between not letting somebody in, and using your vehicles mass to push a vehicle that’s already partially in.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Irrespective of the circumstances from today, to clarify (again) based on what you’ve said - if a vehicle cuts you up when you have right of way, you’re entitled to just keep going as though they aren’t there? There’s a difference between not letting somebody in, and using your vehicles mass to push a vehicle that’s already partially in.
It's not really relevant.

Your mum caused the collision by pushing in front of the lorry, not the lorry for continuing in its lane.

You don't seem to be grasping this.
csmith20
Rep:
?
It's not really relevant.

Your mum caused the collision by pushing in front of the lorry, not the lorry for continuing in its lane.

You don't seem to be grasping this.
Collision is a huge exaggeration and was my own fault exaggerating for describing it that way. We since found out there was no contact made (almost was)

However, I’m more interested in your response. You’ve basically said if somebody cuts you up when you have right of way, it’s your right to just keep on going. That kind of attitude is just as dangerous / more dangerous than actually cutting somebody up - because most of the time you’re cut up you can just brake. So I’m clarifying if that’s your perspective?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'Entitled' isn't a helpful term, They have the right of way in moving traffic, your mum made a dangerous attempt to cut in and placed them in that situation. It just comes down to who gets the blame.

To talk about 'entitled' you would need to basically prove the truck driver did it on purpose, rather than as a result of the situation your mum placed them in.

It's like running across the road without looking, getting hit, and claiming that the other driver had no right to knock you down, when the important question is 'why did you run into their path in the first place?'
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Collision is a huge exaggeration and was my own fault exaggerating for describing it that way. We since found out there was no contact made (almost was)

However, I’m more interested in your response. You’ve basically said if somebody cuts you up when you have right of way, it’s your right to just keep on going. That kind of attitude is just as dangerous / more dangerous than actually cutting somebody up - because most of the time you’re cut up you can just brake. So I’m clarifying if that’s your perspective?
A lorry has significantly less visibility than a car. It's quite simple.
csmith20
Rep:
?
Collision is a huge exaggeration and was my own fault exaggerating for describing it that way. We since found out there was no contact made (almost).

A lorry has significantly less visibility than a car. It's quite simple.
that’s just as relevant as saying a lorry has more tyres. The question is - based on what you’ve said, your perspective seems to be, if somebody cuts you up then keep on going.

I’m just clarifying if that is your view. Regardless of what kind of vehicle they are.
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that’s just as relevant as saying a lorry has more tyres. The question is - based on what you’ve said, your perspective seems to be, if somebody cuts you up then keep on going.

I’m just clarifying if that is your view. Regardless of what kind of vehicle they are.
Of course if you can avoid causing damage/harm to someone's vehicle or them then you should, even if it isn't your fault that the other person is being a bad driver. However, they cannot just assume you will see them/react in time etc., so you aren't to blame for anything if you do keep going and the other driver doesn't have the sense to back off when they're about to get hit by a truck...
Last edited by Interea; 1 month ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The vehicle matters here genius..
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If you're waiting for him to say 'It's totally ok and my policy to drive straight through other cars' then he probably isn't going to.
csmith20
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
If you're waiting for him to say 'It's totally ok and my policy to drive straight through other cars' then he probably isn't going to.
I know 😂it’s funny though to pose an extremely straightforward question and see the way people find the most irrelevant part of a question to pin their answer to
csmith20
Rep:
?
The vehicle matters here genius..
Okay so....if someone cuts up a lorry it can keep going regardless?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (231)
56.2%
I don't have everything I need (180)
43.8%

Watched Threads