The Student Room Group

Advice about driving

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by csmith20
Collision is a huge exaggeration and was my own fault exaggerating for describing it that way. We since found out there was no contact made (almost was)

However, I’m more interested in your response. You’ve basically said if somebody cuts you up when you have right of way, it’s your right to just keep on going. That kind of attitude is just as dangerous / more dangerous than actually cutting somebody up - because most of the time you’re cut up you can just brake. So I’m clarifying if that’s your perspective?

It’s your right to keep going any day of the week, it doesn’t mean you should though. Lorries have notoriously bad visibility, and struggle to see anything within a few meters
Original post by csmith20
Okay so....if someone cuts up a lorry it can keep going regardless?

To try another way, I suspect the answer is basically 'Yes'

If another driver comes flying up behind me aggressively tailgating, i'm still 'entitled' to use my brakes which will certainly cause them to go into the back of me and i'm highly unlikely to get the blame as the other driver created the initial unsafe situation, so yeah, i'm pretty much 'entitled' to cause that accident or otherwise let it happen. If however it could be proved that I did such a thing intentionally or as a result of specific dangerous driving on my part it would be an entirely different story. The trouble with a truck is they can legitimately claim they didn't see you, esp if you approach close to their left hand side, I imagine there's god knows how many precedents for that.

The closest thing to entitlement here is really right of way, the truck had it and your mum didn't.

(This is largely educated guessing on my part btw, I'm not an expert)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending