rags2607
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I am interested for university courses in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. My A Level subjects I want choose is from following . I have to chose 4 subjects and
I am not sure if Biology is must if I chose Chemistry for Good courses in Good Universities?
Also I am confused about the 4th subject. that will be useful for a good course in good university.

-Chemistry
-Physics
-Maths
-Economics

OR
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Maths
-Psychology

OR
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Maths
-Philosophy

OR
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Maths
-Sociology
ComputerScience8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do you have to take 4? Taking 3 is much easier and you shouldn't have trouble getting into unis with 3.
rags2607
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I was asked to chose 4 in our school. and so I am confused. between Biology and Physics also, as I am not sure if Bilogy and Chemistry go hand in hand and Physics is different? Can anyone clarify this aswell.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Chemistry is obviously essential for a chemistry degree (and you need either chemistry or physics for chemE). For chemical engineering you also will need maths minimally, which is also very useful for chemistry degrees. Physics may be required or preferred by some chemical engineering degrees with chemistry as well (and some of the material may help in a chemistry degree). Further maths would be very useful for chemical engineering, and somewhat useful for chemistry itself. Biology is not needed nor required for either subject.

Also as above, you are not required to do 4 subjects to apply to uni in the UK, and you do not get "bonus points" for having done more than 3 subjects; all you do is potentially run the risk of stretching yourself too thin and getting more mediocre marks in a larger number of subjects. UK universities up to and including Oxbridge indicate they much prefer a very strong set of 3 A-levels to a more average performance in 4 or more; A*AA is much better than A*ABB as far as most universities are concerned.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 7 months ago
insol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Chemistry is obviously essential. For chemical engineering you also will need maths minimally, which is also very useful for chemistry degrees. Physics may be required or preferred by some chemical engineering degrees (and some of the material may help in a chemistry degree). Further maths would be very useful for chemical engineering, and somewhat useful for chemistry itself.

Biology is not needed nor required for either subject. Also as above, you are not required to do 4 subjects to apply to uni in the UK, and you do not get "bonus points" for having done more than 3 subjects; all you do is potentially run the risk of stretching yourself too thin and getting more mediocre marks in a larger number of subjects. UK universities up to and including Oxbridge indicate they much prefer a very strong set of 3 A-levels to a more average performance in 4 or more; A*AA is much better than A*ABB as far as most universities are concerned.
Yep I absolutely agree with everything you said there. I am currently doing my a levels and I started of with doing 4 - maths, chemistry, biology and physics. I ended up dropping physics because I just did not need it for what I want to do at uni. I would definitely stay stick to three because trust me a levels are very hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads