Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Needed some help here on behalf of a friend. My friend is in India and he is out there doing charity work on the first leg of his gap year. He has only been out there for a few weeks now, but after last weeks bomb blast, which were in the same province in which he is working, he understandably wants to come back to the UK. Nothing is more paramount than a persons safety.

He is, however, worried about his Personal Statement. He said he would be doing charity work from Sept until November before returning here, but looks like he is returning after just a few weeks. Is there any way the Universities would find out about this if he came back? Could it possibly affect his application in anyway? Should he contact the universities telling them his situation, or just leave it as it is.

Thanks for reading guys

ReputationRep:
    I guess there can be no harm in contacting the universities and seeing what they say, but it would be a cruel world if they think any the worse of him for returning early given the circumstances.

Assuming the work is a significant part of his application he could try to find some in England, and then if he is asked about what he learn in the charity work he could explain how he had to return and what he did before then. Plus, if he finds another in the UK, it looks like he is really keen on doing whatever he is doing and he won't miss out on any experience.

The universities will probably give you a more informed reply, even if you just contact the admissions office as a general enquiry.

ReputationRep:
    Only one of his universities actually requires an interview.

Would it be worth not saying anything? When he comes back here he will probably not be able to do anything for a while as he will have to reformulate his plans.

ReputationRep:
    contact all of the universities and see what they say i think they will be understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshlybaked)
    Hi guys,

Needed some help here on behalf of a friend. My friend is in India and he is out there doing charity work on the first leg of his gap year. He has only been out there for a few weeks now, but after last weeks bomb blast, which were in the same province in which he is working, he understandably wants to come back to the UK. Nothing is more paramount than a persons safety.

He is, however, worried about his Personal Statement. He said he would be doing charity work from Sept until November before returning here, but looks like he is returning after just a few weeks. Is there any way the Universities would find out about this if he came back? Could it possibly affect his application in anyway? Should he contact the universities telling them his situation, or just leave it as it is.

Thanks for reading guys
    Has he applied for 2009 already? Or is he holding a deferred place from 2008? Either way, he submitted his PS in good faith, and gap year plans don't usually form part of offers! It's not like changing your exam plans, so I really would suggest that he does not need to worry too much about this.

ReputationRep:
    I guess he'll have to ring up the unis and admissions tutors to see if they think it's fair.. (probabbly a yes).... don't think there's anythign to worry about tbh

Jez

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think he should bother to contact the unis at this stage.

If he has a deferred place from 2008 then he certainly doesn't need to tell them. His place is already confirmed.

If he is applying in the current round, then it depends on how relevant his gap year plans were to his course choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I really don't think he should bother to contact the unis at this stage.

If he has a deferred place from 2008 then he certainly doesn't need to tell them. His place is already confirmed.

If he is applying in the current round, then it depends on how relevant his gap year plans were to his course choice.
    He is applying this year for Ancient History 2009. During April-May he intends to visit some classical sites in Greece. But that's still a while away. I don't really think that Charity work in India is that relevant to Ancient History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshlybaked)
    He is applying this year for Ancient History 2009. During April-May he intends to visit some classical sites in Greece. But that's still a while away. I don't really think that Charity work in India is that relevant to Ancient History.
    I agree. I wouldn't bother to tell the unis about his change of plan, personally. He wrote about the trip to India in good faith, and unis know that things change.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I agree. I wouldn't bother to tell the unis about his change of plan, personally. He wrote about the trip to India in good faith, and unis know that things change.
    Also, he has a good reason for the change, rather than just "I changed my mind"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 22, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.