Chances of me failing?

Watch
bassplayer347
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've got a Grade 7 music exam tomorrow (bass guitar performance certificate), and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but part of me is so nervous about failing it - I know it sounds silly but I've never done a Grade before, and being in Year 13, practising for it wasn't really my priority until a couple of weeks ago.

Three of my pieces are fine - I wouldn't say they're 'perfect' but I'm very happy with how I play them and my teachers agree.

The other two are also good, except there's 1-2 really fast sections in both of them that I can sometimes nail after lots of warm-up, but they're still pretty rough. These are just two-bar fills though and I'm hoping the rest of the pieces will help my mark.

This was a kinda nervous rant, but... anyone done a Rockschool Bass exam before? What was your experience like? Did you do better/worse than you thought?

Appreciate any responses xxx
summerberry19
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bassplayer347)
I've got a Grade 7 music exam tomorrow (bass guitar performance certificate), and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but part of me is so nervous about failing it - I know it sounds silly but I've never done a Grade before, and being in Year 13, practising for it wasn't really my priority until a couple of weeks ago.

Three of my pieces are fine - I wouldn't say they're 'perfect' but I'm very happy with how I play them and my teachers agree.

The other two are also good, except there's 1-2 really fast sections in both of them that I can sometimes nail after lots of warm-up, but they're still pretty rough. These are just two-bar fills though and I'm hoping the rest of the pieces will help my mark.

This was a kinda nervous rant, but... anyone done a Rockschool Bass exam before? What was your experience like? Did you do better/worse than you thought?

Sorry I’m really late!

How was your exam?
bassplayer347
Rep:
?
(Original post by summerberry19)
Sorry I’m really late!

How was your exam?
I think it went well! One of the four was a bit of a mess but I'm happy. Was a great experience overall despite me being a nervous wreck the whole time thanks for asking!
summerberry19
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it went well! One of the four was a bit of a mess but I'm happy. Was a great experience overall despite me being a nervous wreck the whole time thanks for asking!
Yay! Well done!
That’s ok. You go and relax now!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What songs did you play?
bassplayer347
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
What songs did you play?
Reborn and Buena Havana from the book

Then You Oughta Know (Alanis Morissette), Master Blaster (Stevie Wonder), and Hump De Bump (Red Hot Chili Peppers) as free choice pieces
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Reborn and Buena Havana from the book

Then You Oughta Know (Alanis Morissette), Master Blaster (Stevie Wonder), and Hump De Bump (Red Hot Chili Peppers) as free choice pieces
Sounds good! I also play bass and am a big RHCP bass playing fan
bassplayer347
Rep:
?
Sounds good! I also play bass and am a big RHCP bass playing fan
ah that's so cool! how long have you been playing for?
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ah that's so cool! how long have you been playing for?
17 years. I don't play so often any more as I decided to pick up the drums, but I do love playing RHCP. Hope you passed your exam man.
bassplayer347
Rep:
?
17 years. I don't play so often any more as I decided to pick up the drums, but I do love playing RHCP. Hope you passed your exam man.
oh wow, i've only been playing for like 5 years! that's cool that you play drums and yeah RHCP are so fun to play on bass. thanks so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (250)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.66%

Watched Threads