Was I mistakenly given a contextual offer?

Watch
thatbadstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied for maths at Durham and received a reduced contextual offer. However I don't think I qualify for one. The only criteria I meet is that my current school is a state school but it's a selective one with quite high average grades. My school for GCSEs was a comprehensive. The only other thing I could think of is that I'm an ethnic minority but I thought that wasn't considered.
On the Durham website it says you need to meet two of the criteria to recieve a contextual offer.
The reason I ask is because Durham do reduced maths offers with suitable results in the MAT and I was going to email them asking if they still consider it on top of a contextual offer (unlikely but possible) but my friend said not to incase the offer was a mistake.
Wannabevet133
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may live in a quintile 1/2 area or your household income maybe? X
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thatbadstudent)
I applied for maths at Durham and received a reduced contextual offer. However I don't think I qualify for one. The only criteria I meet is that my current school is a state school but it's a selective one with quite high average grades. My school for GCSEs was a comprehensive. The only other thing I could think of is that I'm an ethnic minority but I thought that wasn't considered.
On the Durham website it says you need to meet two of the criteria to recieve a contextual offer.
The reason I ask is because Durham do reduced maths offers with suitable results in the MAT and I was going to email them asking if they still consider it on top of a contextual offer (unlikely but possible) but my friend said not to incase the offer was a mistake.
It won't be to do with your ethnicity.

How do you know it was a contextual offer, they may have just decided to give you a lower offer for other reasons such as a department decision to give better offers to strong applicants in the hope they will pick Durham. Does it actually say it is a contextual offer?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just to reiterate - universities do not yet have any ethnicity data for their applicants. This information is only shared with us at the end of the application cycle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (37)
17.45%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.36%

Watched Threads