Turn on thread page Beta

Finance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Nah, it's only some banks that specify you can only have one student bank account. Most just say you have to use it as your main account. So just put some money in occasionally and withdraw it in different places and you'll be fine. Just make sure you read the terms and conditions!
    Wrong! The main 3 banks that have student accounts (HSBC, NatWest, Barclays) all say that you can only have one student bank account. This is down to the overdrafts in that you could end up with several £1000 overdrafts which isnt a good idea! Its doesnt matter whether you use the account or not as theres nothing they can do about it. I have an account with HSBC and havent used it once. I opened it for the railcard and made it blatently obvious that I did and they didnt care!

ReputationRep:
    The way that tuition fees are charged means that they should either be paid for by the state or by your parents since they are officialy termed "parental contribution".

The tuition fees are the only thing that I let my parents pay for. They would be quite happy to pay for books etc etc but I see little point in that because the idea of uni is to learn how to live as well as to get a degree. So I pay for everything, and I dont get the full loan amount either.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by timgrenham)
    Wrong! The main 3 banks that have student accounts (HSBC, NatWest, Barclays) all say that you can only have one student bank account. This is down to the overdrafts in that you could end up with several £1000 overdrafts which isnt a good idea! Its doesnt matter whether you use the account or not as theres nothing they can do about it. I have an account with HSBC and havent used it once. I opened it for the railcard and made it blatently obvious that I did and they didnt care!
    If you're gonna say I'm wrong, it would be a good idea to then say something right. My Natwest terms and conditions don't say it has to be my only account. You just have to make regular deposits. You'll probably find with your HSBC account that they close it sooner or later.

And several overdrafts doesn't have to be a bad idea. You can put them in a high interest bank account and make money!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.