Help applying A Level Chemistry knowledge to Papers

Watch
Mohamed Idris
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Whenever I’m revising chemistry topics it seems pretty easy and I understand it within an hour or so but when it comes to answering questions on it i get so confused if you get what I mean, who has advice for this?
Bubblemind200
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mohamed Idris)
Whenever I’m revising chemistry topics it seems pretty easy and I understand it within an hour or so but when it comes to answering questions on it i get so confused if you get what I mean, who has advice for this?
Hey, I study Chemistry BSc. I understand what you mean by this. You need to think of chemistry as a maths subject, once you've revised the concept, you need to answer questions on it to get familiar with it. Fortunately theres a right or wrong answer with chemistry, so with practice of questions you will undoubtedly get better. Definitely try and use flashcards to help with memorising the small things, and I also recommend looking at physics and maths tutor and use their free exam questions (look at old A-Level papers too)! - If you are still struggling, don't worry as it is a very challenging subject and it's best to master things topic by topic rather than switching from different ones. I'm happy to help if you have any other Qs - or if you need specific help with revising topics such as organic, physical etc
Last edited by Bubblemind200; 1 month ago
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubblemind200)
Hey, I study Chemistry BSc. I understand what you mean by this. You need to think of chemistry as a maths subject, once you've revised the concept, you need to answer questions on it to get familiar with it. Fortunately theres a right or wrong answer with chemistry, so with practice of questions you will undoubtedly get better. Definitely try and use flashcards to help with memorising the small things, and I also recommend looking at physics and maths tutor and use their free exam questions (look at old A-Level papers too)! - If you are still struggling, don't worry as it is a very challenging subject and it's best to master things topic by topic rather than switching from different ones. I'm happy to help if you have any other Qs - or if you need specific help with revising topics such as organic, physical etc
Thanks a lot, I will definitely check them all out. We have exams in a weeks time and I’m not familiar with a lot of topics so I’m just watching videos on them and writing notes but I’m going to try looking at past papers on physics and math tutor like you said. Do you know any websites that give exam questions on specific topics such as booklets on ionization energy etc? I checked physics and maths tutor but a lot of them say they’re from 2009. :/
Bubblemind200
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks a lot, I will definitely check them all out. We have exams in a weeks time and I’m not familiar with a lot of topics so I’m just watching videos on them and writing notes but I’m going to try looking at past papers on physics and math tutor like you said. Do you know any websites that give exam questions on specific topics such as booklets on ionization energy etc? I checked physics and maths tutor but a lot of them say they’re from 2009. :/
I used this website all the time - https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/a...chemistry.html they have questions for each topic and the mark schemes for them (I literally printed every single booklet for my a2 exams). Unfortunately they only have AQA or OCR, however if you aren't one of those exam boards they are still excellent practice. With regards to videos, they are excellent to understanding concepts, I personally used Khan Academy, The Organic Chemistry Tutor (youtube) and any others I could find on youtube. You are definitely doing the right thing and keep at it. Are you AS or A2 student? Make sure you pay close attention to mark schemes as I know the exam boards like you using specific terminology.

Physics and maths tutor was like an extra resource for me after i finished the new A level exam papers as practice. Although the older papers are a lot easier than the new its still a great way to grasp the concept you have just revised and over time you will start to see repetition. Hope that helps
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
I used this website all the time - https://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/a...chemistry.html they have questions for each topic and the mark schemes for them (I literally printed every single booklet for my a2 exams). Unfortunately they only have AQA or OCR, however if you aren't one of those exam boards they are still excellent practice. With regards to videos, they are excellent to understanding concepts, I personally used Khan Academy, The Organic Chemistry Tutor (youtube) and any others I could find on youtube. You are definitely doing the right thing and keep at it. Are you AS or A2 student? Make sure you pay close attention to mark schemes as I know the exam boards like you using specific terminology.

Physics and maths tutor was like an extra resource for me after i finished the new A level exam papers as practice. Although the older papers are a lot easier than the new its still a great way to grasp the concept you have just revised and over time you will start to see repetition. Hope that helps
I’m doing AQA and I’m in my first year (AS). I will definitely use those resources, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
Bubblemind200
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m doing AQA and I’m in my first year (AS). I will definitely use those resources, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
Ah okay, so you're still near the beginning of your A-level journey! It's excellent that you are using all these resources now - as the work load gets a bit heavier throughout the near and next year you will be prepared. If you have anymore questions (even about doing a degree in chemistry) I'm happy to answer them.

You're welcome and good luck!
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
Ah okay, so you're still near the beginning of your A-level journey! It's excellent that you are using all these resources now - as the work load gets a bit heavier throughout the near and next year you will be prepared. If you have anymore questions (even about doing a degree in chemistry) I'm happy to answer them.

You're welcome and good luck!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculation...9726863&sr=8-1

Would you reccommend this book for A-Level Chemistry? I heard a youtube say she really recommends it if you need help with the Math side and it has 5 star reviews however it's from 2001.. did the chemistry stay the same or would I be learning wrong things if I buy it?
Bubblemind200
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculation...9726863&sr=8-1

Would you reccommend this book for A-Level Chemistry? I heard a youtube say she really recommends it if you need help with the Math side and it has 5 star reviews however it's from 2001.. did the chemistry stay the same or would I be learning wrong things if I buy it?
I haven't personally used this book myself. Generally the maths you're taught in chemistry does not change. However, depending on your exam board, they might want you to calculate certain things the way they specify eg. in the mark schemes. Otherwise, this book seems to have really good up to date reviews and there is no harm in trying it - as long as it helps you understand how and what you are calculating then you can easily adapt to mark schemes for your exam board
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
Okay, thanks for the advice!

I haven't personally used this book myself. Generally the maths you're taught in chemistry does not change. However, depending on your exam board, they might want you to calculate certain things the way they specify eg. in the mark schemes. Otherwise, this book seems to have really good up to date reviews and there is no harm in trying it - as long as it helps you understand how and what you are calculating then you can easily adapt to mark schemes for your exam board
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (433)
56.23%
I don't have everything I need (337)
43.77%

Watched Threads