Petrol or Gasoline? Watch

This discussion is closed.
pissface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I just have a random question...My mom bought a British Land Rover, and it calls gas stations here, petrol stations. I just wonder why we use different words for the same exact stuff???
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
because you americans took our language and decided to change it. its petrol.
PublicSchoolAnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AmericanChick)
I just have a random question...My mom bought a British Land Rover, and it calls gas stations here, petrol stations. I just wonder why we use different words for the same exact stuff???
because it is like totally awesome-duh!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
because you americans took our language and decided to change it. its petrol.
Petrol is the correct (i.e. British) way of saying it.
pissface
Rep:
?
I didn't say it shouldn't be petrol. :hmpf: In fact it has a nice ring to it! Petrol...Gas sounds like someone let one rip. lol.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
see? you people indulge in foolish follies. Its petrol, just like crisps, chips, etc
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
like so toally not fetch.ewwwwwwww
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't say it shouldn't be petrol. :hmpf: In fact it has a nice ring to it! Petrol...Gas sounds like someone let one rip. lol.
I think both petrolium and gasoline are correct, actually. Maybe I'm wrong, though... wouldn't surprise me.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Gas is a state of matter. It's what happens when you heat up a liquid. Petrol, on the other hand, is something that goes in cars and aeroplanes to make them go.
pissface
Rep:
?
(Original post by sublime_envy)
see? you people indulge in foolish follies. Its petrol, just like crisps, chips, etc
Am I sensing some bitterness towards american words? Why do you call frys chips? :confused:
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Am I sensing some bitterness towards american words? Why do you call frys chips? :confused:
oi! why do you guys call chips fries!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:eek: *fries. and we call them chips because that's what they are. they're not always fried y'know
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why do you call trousers pants?
Frys is a chocolate brand here.
Why do you call crisps, chips?
pissface
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinykates)
:eek: *fries. and we call them chips because that's what they are. they're not always fried y'know
True, they're not. Hmm...ya know wut? I dont know why we call them fries. :rolleyes:
pissface
Rep:
?
why do you call pop sickles Ice lollies?
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
I think both petrolium and gasoline are correct, actually. Maybe I'm wrong, though... wouldn't surprise me.
Both words refer to the same thing in both countries... it's just that the British happen to call it petrol while the Americans call it gasoline. Some American words are just WRONG however - such as calling crisps "chips". I qualify this by saying that they say they call chips "fries" when we all know that it's not true. "Fries" come from McDonalds / Burger King etc, CHIPS are great big deep fried chunks of potato, and come with stuff fried in batter. Anything fried in batter in fact.

Oh and sidewalks. That's also wrong. Sidewalks are made of wood, my American friends, so what you have at the side of the road are pavements.

Err... anyway... I can't remember what this thread is about.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah what TK said. They aren't always fried. I am only bitter of the fact that they don't make any sense.
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh but there is one american word i like. pantyhoes,instead of tights! that is fab.
actually i like fannypack too instead of bumbag. hee hee.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
why do you call pop sickles Ice lollies?
because what the hell is a sickle? ice lollies are made of frozen goodness!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
oh but there is one american word i like. pantyhoes,instead of tights! that is fab.
actually i like fannypack too instead of bumbag. hee hee.
fannypack? rofl
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (904)
79.93%
Leave (227)
20.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed