CozyBrodie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,
I am looking at applying to LCF womenswear or fashion design and development but I can’t really see the difference between the two except one is gender specific and the other isn’t.
Can anyone tell me the differences?
Thanks
University of the Arts London Student Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by CozyBrodie)
Hi,
I am looking at applying to LCF womenswear or fashion design and development but I can’t really see the difference between the two except one is gender specific and the other isn’t.
Can anyone tell me the differences?
Thanks
Hey CozyBrodie,

Great to hear that you're interested in applying for LCF. Both Womenswear and Fashion Design and Development are highly regarded courses.

From my understanding the main difference between these two course is that the Fashion Deign and Development course places more of an emphasis on teaching you strategic and research skills and an in depth understanding of the industry (manufacture,business etc) alongside the creative and design skills, whereas the womenswear course places most of the emphasis on the practical skills for designing and creating garments. As you have also pointed out the womenswear course will focus on the skills needed to design for women whereas the other course will offer more general skills to be applied to both the mens and womens fashion industry.

The Womenswear course looks for prospective students to be able to demonstrate:

A strong interest in fashion, visual imagery and an awareness of technology
An understanding of the need for a critical and analytical approach to the area of study
An approach suited to the demands of the course and the projected career futures

The Fashion Design and Development course looks for prospective students to be able to demonstrate:

A current awareness of fashion for product in terms of material developments, new designers and fashion trends
A potential to achieve a high standard of technical manufacture
An ability to record and develop design ideas through the vehicle of drawing
The ability to work as a member of a team
The ability to work independently to develop your own knowledge and skills acquired on the course

I recommend you attend open days for both of the course so you can hear from the course tutors themselves and make an informed decision as to which course is best suited to yourself. It would also be worth checking out the detailed Course specifications available for you to download from the course page.

I hope that is of some help and good luck with your application.

Kindest,

Tegan
UAL Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (243)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (55)
13.03%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.9%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.53%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.27%

Watched Threads