cami1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm currently in year 11 and I'm doing AQA's poetry anthology. I know, fun!
Here is a link to a poetry log I'm making as I get through the Power and Conflict cluster. It summarises the poems and gives key quotes to remember for the exam.

The link is https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTADtBjVYXIB4zosxwL1MgFfRG-h-381DKTTU-ky7IJJVfl-8M0OBwd2739kmBdmZNyvqqHMEcsxPNm/pub

This is a working document. I'm always adding new poems and improving the ones already on there.

Cmi
Last edited by cami1; 8 months ago
dd_razz
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
Didn't AQA take out poetry from the spec cuz of covid? or am I tripping or what
darrencoxon
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by dd_razz)
No, that's not correct. They will give you a choice between the 19th Century novel and modern text, but you still need to do Shakespeare and both seen and unseen poetry. https://www.aqa.org.uk/news/changes-...ish-literature
cami1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by dd_razz)

Hi, for AQA English literature, you would normally need to study:

- A Shakespeare play (Our school does 'Romeo and Juliet')

- A 19th century novel (Our school does 'A Christmas Carol')
- A modern prose or drama (Our school does 'An Inspector Calls')
- The Poetry Anthology
- Unseen Poetry

Normally, these are all compulsory components to the English literature GCSE.

However, things have changed a bit this year:

These things have not changed and are still compulsory.
- The Shakespeare play (like 'Romeo and Juliet')
- The Unseen Poetry (where you have to analyse a poem you've never seen before.)

With the other stuff, your school has to make a choice of only 2 to carry on studying, whilst in normal times you would study all three.
- The 19th century novel (like 'A Christmas Carol')
- The modern prose/drama (like 'An Inspector Calls')
- The Poetry Anthology

With the Poetry Anthology, a lot of schools aren't doing it this year because it is usually taught in Year 11, so most schools just preferred to not teach new content to Year 11 and to focus on revising and studying what had already been covered before lockdown.

I hope that answers your question
Cmi
Last edited by cami1; 8 months ago
dd_razz
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by cami1)
Hi, for AQA English literature, you would normally need to study:

- A Shakespeare play (Our school does 'Romeo and Juliet')

- A 19th century novel (Our school does 'A Christmas Carol')
- A modern prose or drama (Our school does 'An Inspector Calls')
- The Poetry Anthology
- Unseen Poetry

Normally, these are all compulsory components to the English literature GCSE.

However, things have changed a bit this year:

These things have not changed and are still compulsory.
- The Shakespeare play (like 'Romeo and Juliet')
- The Unseen Poetry (where you have to analyse a poem you've never seen before.)

With the other stuff, your school has to make a choice of only 2 to carry on studying, whilst in normal times you would study all three.
- The 19th century novel (like 'A Christmas Carol')
- The modern prose/drama (like 'An Inspector Calls')
- The Poetry Anthology

With the Poetry Anthology, a lot of schools aren't doing it this year because it is usually taught in Year 11, so most schools just preferred to not teach new content to Year 11 and to focus on revising and studying what had already been covered before lockdown.

For some reason, my school in good old school in Leeds chose to do the 19th century novel (A Christmas Carol) and the Poetry Anthology, possibly because the unseen poetry is still compulsory in the exams, so we might as well get used to poetry. Additionally, Poetry is genuinely more interesting than something as depressing as An Inspector Calls, and, arguably, there are less quotes to learn.

The other day, they announced they were going to allow us to take formula sheets for some subjects. So perhaps, this could mean we're given the poems in the exam?

At the beginning of the summer, the government had scrapped poetry altogether for the GCSE. Both the anthology and the unseen. However, they were bullied into making the unseen poetry compulsory by... you guessed it, poets! - Michael Rosen is one that comes to mind.

This was just one of the many U-turns they did, although in fairness, they have a tougher job than we do just memorising poems.

I hope that answers your question
Cami, Leeds
Thank you! that was why I was so confused, cuz my school said that they wouldn't be doing poetry and for some reason I'd assumed that it had been scrapped altogether the mock exams must be getting to me oof
Amy_D186
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
the link doesn’t work 😕
sb338
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Try now

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...qHMEcsxPNm/pub
(Original post by Amy_D186)
the link doesn’t work 😕
Amy_D186
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
tysm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads