The Student Room Group

Getting into Teaching Maths

hi I am in my last 40s and have always loved maths. I want to get into teaching maths but don't have a Maths degree. I am a CIMA qualified accountant. would that be a problem in terms of would I be able to teach maths without a maths degree?
im pretty sure you can teach maths without a maths degree yes, my gcse teacher has a chemistry degree

you may not be able to teach A level maths, i don't know, but either way you'd still have teaching training
Original post by Jpworse
hi I am in my last 40s and have always loved maths. I want to get into teaching maths but don't have a Maths degree. I am a CIMA qualified accountant. would that be a problem in terms of would I be able to teach maths without a maths degree?

What other qualifications do you have? As a minimum, you do require an undergraduate degree in something and a GCSE (or equivalent) in maths and English. If some of the modules you studied were maths-related, that would help too, but experience can often make up for that. It would also help if you have an A-level in maths.

Different training providers will have different expectations, so it's a good idea to check their course pages and/or phone to see if your qualifications would be sufficient. I know the training provider I was with only required an A-level, while others expected at least half of the degree content to be maths-related - though as I said, some might waive this if you have many years of industry experience. Generally, I think training providers do like people that have come from industry, as they have more practical experience with the subject and this can be really valuable.
You may be able to teach adults in a college instead.
Original post by Jpworse

If you have a degree of some kind, you will probably be able to train as a maths teacher as the country is very short! You may need to do an SKE conversion course prior to teacher training. Your next step would be to contact ITT providers to see if they will accept you with your qualifications.
Original post by Jpworse

Have you got a degree?
Original post by Jpworse

Have you rung the Get Into Teaching phone number? They will be able to answer questions like this.
Reply 7
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you have a degree of some kind, you will probably be able to train as a maths teacher as the country is very short! You may need to do an SKE conversion course prior to teacher training. Your next step would be to contact ITT providers to see if they will accept you with your qualifications.

What is an ITT provider?
Original post by ebam_uk
What is an ITT provider?

ITT stands for initial teacher training- so a teacher training provider. It doesn't have to be unis, as there are SCITT (School centred initial teacher training) and schools direct courses which aren't run by unis, as well as schemes like teach first and now teach.
Original post by Jpworse

Hi @Jpworse

The minimum qualifications required for secondary teaching are GCSE grades 4/C or above in maths and english or equivalent qualifications and a degree, usually related to the subject you want to teach, and usually a 2:2 classification or above.

If you have another degree that is not maths related but experience, then, as has been answered previously, some providers may accept you. If you are in this situation, then I would recommend contacting Get Into Teaching where a qualified teacher will be able to advise you and support you. You can register online at https://register.getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/register or by phone on 0800 389 2500 Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm.

If you do not have a degree, you will not be qualified to teach in state schools in England, so if it is your passion to teach maths, I would suggest getting a maths degree. Your age is certainly no barrier, there are many mature entrants (more mature than you) into the teaching profession and they and their experience are highly regarded.

Best of luck!

Sue
Original post by Jpworse

yes definately, if you hold a level maths and you knowledge in maths is sufficient, then you can. if you need a brush up, you can do an 8-24 weeks SKE (subject knowledge enhancement) course in maths (depending on your subject knowledge) which may be a conditional offer from universities. my degree is in economics and finance, and so i am currently going to undertake a SKE course. however, only problem is that the DfE are currently reviewing their budget for the funding of this course. it may be the case that you will have to pay for this course.

PS you cannot undertake the SKE course until you have received an offer for your PGCE/ITT from a provider.

hope this helps :smile:
I'm looking to train as a maths teacher too. For the SKE, do the institution that offers you a PGCE decide how long you must train for (8 weeks/28 weeks), or is it up to you to choose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending