Students will have staggered start dates for returning to uni after Christmas

Watch
Flipping Nora
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The government has announced that students will be asked to stay at home after Christmas and continue their studies online. The plan is then to stagger students' return to university over a five-week period beginning on 4th January, with some returning as late as 7th February. The hope is that this will minimise the risk of spreading Covid.

Apparently more 'hands-on' courses such as medicine, nursing, dentistry, sciences which need lab access and performing arts subjects like music, dance and drama will be some of the first students returning. Students coming back later will include those studying English lit, history and maths.

Universities have also been asked to prioritise the return of students to return to uni sooner because they don't have access to accommodation or adequate study space or because of mental health reasons.

You can read more about the news here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55163380

What do you think of this news and how will it affect you? Do you think this is a wise decision of the government? Are you a student who might be coming back as late as February and how do you feel about studying solely online for longer?
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6814754
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not surprised really.
I don't even know when I'm due back after Christmas tbh - all my lectures are pre recorded
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 month ago
Toastiekid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i would most likely be in the february batch of students and as much as i don’t want another spike in virus cases, i’m not particularly happy about it. i expect i won’t be able to get a refund on the weeks of accommodation i’ll be missing nor on gym memberships/societies fees. i don’t mind studying online- i’ve been doing that (whilst on campus) for most of the autumn term - but the libraries in my local area haven’t reopened so i don’t know where i’d be able to actually do my work:sadnod: it’s also such a long time to spend without my flatmates (especially given we’ve been together pretty much 24/7 since we got here) :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.69%
I don't have everything I need (143)
42.31%

Watched Threads