Can they see your sixth form attendance? Mine is on the low side so I’m worried
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilbabypenguin)
Can they see your sixth form attendance? Mine is on the low side so I’m worried
That depends if your sixth form choose to include it in your reference.
Universities don't know your attendance record automatically.
mbenson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends, they can't access the numbers, but if your reference doesn't paint your attendance in a positive light, such as saying that you are 'usually' or 'sometimes' punctual or whatever, or not mentioning it at all, rather than saying that it's good, they may read between the lines and be less likely to make you an offer because of that. It depends on what unis tbh.
username5490332
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mbenson)
It depends, they can't access the numbers, but if your reference doesn't paint your attendance in a positive light, such as saying that you are 'usually' or 'sometimes' punctual or whatever, or not mentioning it at all, rather than saying that it's good, they may read between the lines and be less likely to make you an offer because of that. It depends on what unis tbh.
My school said they only include things in your reference that paint you in a good light
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My school said they only include things in your reference that paint you in a good light
That might be your school's policy but it isn't universal. As long as any statements in the reference are factual then they can be included in the reference.

If you're worried about your attendance then it might be a good idea to talk to your referee and tutors about what you can do to improve it.
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
That might be your school's policy but it isn't universal. As long as any statements in the reference are factual then they can be included in the reference.

If you're worried about your attendance then it might be a good idea to talk to your referee and tutors about what you can do to improve it.
It’s ok I’ll just get in through clearing instead thank you
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s ok I’ll just get in through clearing instead thank you
You still need an academic reference for clearing.
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You still need an academic reference for clearing.
Yeah I have one it just won’t be a good one but in clearing they won’t care as much about my attendance
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I have one it just won’t be a good one but in clearing they won’t care as much about my attendance
That's not the case. Universities are very cautious about clearing recruitment - clearing students are already at a higher risk of dropping out so any red flags that might indicate an applicant isn't going to engage with their studies is more likely to result in a rejection.

You would be better of working WITH your sixth for staff to improve your engagement and attendance now.
username5490332
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
That's not the case. Universities are very cautious about clearing recruitment - clearing students are already at a higher risk of dropping out so any red flags that might indicate an applicant isn't going to engage with their studies is more likely to result in a rejection.

You would be better of working WITH your sixth for staff to improve your engagement and attendance now.
I’m predicted A*A*A so I should be fine
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m predicted A*A*A so I should be fine
If you're going to ignore or dismiss all the advice you're offered then why bother asking the question?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (34)
16.75%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (61)
30.05%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (77)
37.93%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.81%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.46%

Watched Threads