What's the difference between legal principles and legal authority?

Watch
owlnightoffice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
From what i understand, legal principles are what is already established by the law. Legal authority is court rulings, or legislation. But what's the difference?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
think of principles as the rule or moral of the story. so in the UK legal principles would include burden of proof in criminal law, balance of probabilities in tort law, consideration in contract law, etc. the authority is what had established that principle.

so for instance duty of care is the legal principle and the authority is Donoghue v Stevenson.
owlnightoffice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
think of principles as the rule or moral of the story. so in the UK legal principles would include burden of proof in criminal law, balance of probabilities in tort law, consideration in contract law, etc. the authority is what had established that principle.

so for instance duty of care is the legal principle and the authority is Donoghue v Stevenson.
Thank you, I understand.

Does that mean legislation is also an authority? (Sorry if its a stupid question)
Lawschoolhack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A legal principle is the 'law' itself. The 'authority' is the source of the law. So yes - legislation is authority. The Road Traffic Act 1985 , for example, contains the 'law ' relating to ' drunk driving'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
18.21%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (82)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (108)
37.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (38)
13.06%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.44%

Watched Threads