Turn on thread page Beta

Is it true that Unis check up if you lied about your results? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is that true?? Also, they get to see ur gcse and as level papers as well or somethin??

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but I think you have to take your GCSE and A-level certificates with you when you register for your course. Even if you don't, one of your teachers will have to write a reference for you and check your form before they send it off, so you're very likely to be caught. If it did slip through the net at that stage, you risk being disqualified from the UCAS system- not worth the hassle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffingKrazy)
    Is that true?? Also, they get to see ur gcse and as level papers as well or somethin??
    they can't see you actual exam papers

ReputationRep:
    Apparently UCAS do try and verify a small random percentage of exam results. However, it is not be possible to verify every result. Universities will ask you to prove your exam results after you have done your exams anyway.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Universities do not necessarily ask you to prove your exam results - I for one was never asked to provide any sort of proof of my results. Not that it would have been a problem if I had, I was just never asked for them.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    It's not worth lying on the application form. The good thing is that you will get offers!

ReputationRep:
    Universities will not be that bothered whether you got an A or a C in a particular subject. It is just not worth the hassle to lie. My university has asked me to send all my exam certificates, so yes some do check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    Universities do not necessarily ask you to prove your exam results - I for one was never asked to provide any sort of proof of my results. Not that it would have been a problem if I had, I was just never asked for them.
    Jenn xx
    Which university was that?

ReputationRep:
    i know 1 person who made false grades and got into uni. Not a good university but he still got in.

ReputationRep:
    I would guess some are just bothered about making sure they have a high number of students so that they get enough funding. I think there was some foundation course at London Metropolitan where you could get in with no A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I applied post A level to LSE and when i received my offer, was asked to send in certified copies of my alevel certificates (basically photocopies with my old college's stamp and sig). however, i have heard of many international students paying a specific company loads of money to prepare fake certificates which they then certify!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Chris87)
    Which university was that?
    University of Warwick. I didn't actually realise that anywhere asked for your certificates until I read these forums!
    Oh, I'm not advocating lying incidentally - it's a really bad idea. If they do check, you'd be totally stuffed. Plus I'd have said it's going to be either obvious that you're lying (e.g. if you say you got an A at Higher/AS then end up with a D in the subject or something at Advanced Higher/A-Level) or not important anyway!
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    When I registered at uni last year, many people were asked to prove their results before they registered on their course of study. I personally wasn't asked to do this, but I think most people who came through clearing were, and also mature students.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say its quite shocking that some universities do not ask for proof of examination results. Most people wouldn't lie about it but it always leaves the posibility that a few people could get through.

ReputationRep:
    Yep as far as I know UCAS only do spot checks.I guess if only certain unis ask for exam certificates etc then it is possible that a small number of people who've *ahem* 'enchanced' their grades may slip through each year!

ReputationRep:
    I had to show my A level certifiicates but they were not too bothered about the GCSEs. Also UCAS get the correct results directly from the examining board so you can't really lie about the results.

ReputationRep:
    Do you get back the certificates after they checked them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Do you get back the certificates after they checked them?
    Yeah if I remember correctly we just had to bring them to the university when we registered. Its possibly just an extra security thing. I already got the a firm place before they checked my results but of course they got the results from UCAS so they knew they were correct.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is no point bringing them, as the university could check with UCAS and/or the exam boards about our grades.

ReputationRep:
    My uni asked me to prove my results, and some firms when you start work want to see certificates and check it out with your uni.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.