Help! Do I aim for Russell Group or Oxbridge?

Watch
merbibi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I'm a year 12 high school student and I'm looking at making a decision about what university I want to go to in 2022. I'm currently studying English Lit, French and History and I generally get good grades. I'm a really hard worker and have high hopes for the future; I'm looking at getting into (potentially French) law. Only problem is, I'm hugely torn between working towards Oxford or favouring Leeds. I think Leeds looks like it has an amazing student union and great social/night life, and obviously a degree from a Russell Group university is great, but I'm worried I might be limiting my potential in law if I don't apply for Oxford. Most of my teachers and family strongly encourage me to go, but I'm put off by the comparative lack of student diversity and mediocre-looking social life, as well as the fact that I've lived in Southern England all my life and would love to try something different. While I want to leave university with a great education, I also want to have an enjoyable and eye-opening experience. I also plan on applying to Oxford for my masters, but I'm worried I will put myself at a disadvantage by studying at Leeds for my bachelors. Help??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by merbibi)
Hi I'm a year 12 high school student and I'm looking at making a decision about what university I want to go to in 2022. I'm currently studying English Lit, French and History and I generally get good grades. I'm a really hard worker and have high hopes for the future; I'm looking at getting into (potentially French) law. Only problem is, I'm hugely torn between working towards Oxford or favouring Leeds. I think Leeds looks like it has an amazing student union and great social/night life, and obviously a degree from a Russell Group university is great, but I'm worried I might be limiting my potential in law if I don't apply for Oxford. Most of my teachers and family strongly encourage me to go, but I'm put off by the comparative lack of student diversity and mediocre-looking social life, as well as the fact that I've lived in Southern England all my life and would love to try something different. While I want to leave university with a great education, I also want to have an enjoyable and eye-opening experience. I also plan on applying to Oxford for my masters, but I'm worried I will put myself at a disadvantage by studying at Leeds for my bachelors. Help??

You might as well just apply for both, see where you get offers, and then decide. You don't need to pick Oxford just because it's Oxford, but you also don't need to make that decision any time soon
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So what does the 'Russell Group' actually mean to you?
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford is also in the Russell Group

But yea as pointed out, just apply to both. You don't have to decide which one you want to make your firm choice until after you've received offers (and if you don't get one from Oxford then that's decision made anyway). People turn down offers every year for various reasons - if you do get one, you don't have to take it.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Dont pick any university just because it is part of the Russell Group. You will have 5 choices and choose the ones that suit you best. Go to open days in the summer and decide.
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you pick a course you actually genuinely like the look of in a place you can imagine spending some of your life there

by going to open days, talking to students, comparing modules, visiting cities when it is permitted etc.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Well you can apply wherever on balance you want to. You need to weigh the pros of Oxbridge against the cons and vice versa at other unis you are interested in.

But for law should you wish to pursue the career as a solicitor or barrister then perhaps more than in any other field Oxbridge has a tangible early career benefit. Its worth mentioning those who practice law typically dont get a masters such as an LLM or MA, as the path is normally an LLB followed by the LPC.
merbibi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Well you can apply wherever on balance you want to. You need to weigh the pros of Oxbridge against the cons and vice versa at other unis you are interested in.

But for law should you wish to pursue the career as a solicitor or barrister then perhaps more than in any other field Oxbridge has a tangible early career benefit. Its worth mentioning those who practice law typically dont get a masters such as an LLM or MA, as the path is normally an LLB followed by the LPC.
Yes, the fact that an Oxbridge degree would hugely benefit my career is my biggest issue, as Oxford's name and academic prowess are the only two things that make me doubt putting Leeds as my first choice. In terms of following a path into law, my rough plan was to study French Law at Leeds for four years and then (hopefully) International Law at Oxford before starting on the BPTC (from what I've researched, this is the most straightforward path to becoming a barrister). Any thoughts on this?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, the fact that an Oxbridge degree would hugely benefit my career is my biggest issue, as Oxford's name and academic prowess are the only two things that make me doubt putting Leeds as my first choice. In terms of following a path into law, my rough plan was to study French Law at Leeds for four years and then (hopefully) International Law at Oxford before starting on the BPTC (from what I've researched, this is the most straightforward path to becoming a barrister). Any thoughts on this?
Honestly IDK, I am not a lawyer.
But if you want to do a postgrad Magister Juris at Oxford after an LLB, I would make sure you have the finances for that as the masters wont be covered by SFE (their is a postgraduate loan, however that is only £10K for everything, and Oxford is not a cheap place to live and the MJus will be a LOT more then the annual fee of a UK undergrad degree).
Наталья
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you're in year 12, you don't need to decide which you would theoretically firm yet. research the campuses, cities, course etc. and see which fits you best, you might be able to visit them depending on how the covid situation progresses. there's no point picking a uni you're going to hate just because it's more prestigious; bear in mind that you'll be spending 3-4 years there.
honestlykms
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You literally have 5 options to apply to. First hear back from the choices and then decide where you wanna go. But between Oxford and Leeds? Oxford by far
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at a range of different Unis.
Do not focus on 'I want to impress people'. Look at the Uni that is right for you. There is nothing wrong with ambition - but just remember that its possible to totally miserable at Oxford or any other Uni whatever its reputation, it doesn't guarantee you instant happiness.

French Law - look also at courses that are Law & French Language - Bristol
Or Law with European Studies or European Law/Legal Systems - Exeter, Leeds, Nottingham, Sheffield, UEA, Southampton etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (124)
62.31%
I don't have everything I need (75)
37.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed