Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
BBC article

What are your thoughts on these changes?
thisaccount
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Grade inflation! Wahoo!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
BBC article

What are your thoughts on these changes?
Even more medicine applicants for 2022/23 entry :lol:

(21% more medicine applicants for 2021/22 compared to 2020/21 entry)
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Even more medicine applicants for 2022/23 entry :lol:
Don't they realise we have enough doctors? Go and do something original please x
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't they realise we have enough doctors? Go and do something original please x
More medical applicants =/= more doctors, sadly... just more rejections.

There are physical limits as to how many people we can train (e.g. number of clinical tutors, number of hospitals, GP surgeries etc.) and of course we can't have more graduating final year med students than FY1 doctor posts!

The Med Schools Council has already stated that they think there "may" be higher failure rates for the next few years due to the CAG U-turn. This could get worse...

I suppose that with advanced warning (i.e. now), the med schools will over-offer much less than previously?
tomatowielder
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As a mature student self-learning A levels to hopefully apply for medicine, I'm upset and annoyed (however unreasonable that is). I understand policy has to be made with sixth form students in mind because they outnumber me by orders of magnitude, but it feels like this is cheapening my grades. I've been working so, so hard for this on top of working, and I've been hitting A*s. I have previous failures from when I did them first time round years ago (that the universities I'm applying to have previously said they don't mind) and it'll be way more competitive so it's far more likely they'll hold me back now. It feels like I'm being punished tbh. I'm just hoping to rely on my work history and smash the UCAT, and hopefully having done them in one year rather than two means something.

I also can't afford, and don't have the time, to do any bells and whistles like EPQs or a fourth A level.
Last edited by tomatowielder; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
More medical applicants =/= more doctors, sadly... just more rejections.

There are physical limits as to how many people we can train (e.g. number of clinical tutors, number of hospitals, GP surgeries etc.) and of course we can't have more graduating final year med students than FY1 doctor posts!

The Med Schools Council has already stated that they think there "may" be higher failure rates for the next few years due to the CAG U-turn. This could get worse...

I suppose that with advanced warning (i.e. now), the med schools will over-offer much less than previously?
Yeah, I suppose so. I imagine it will be at the detriment of students from lower-income areas.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I suppose so. I imagine it will be at the detriment of students from lower-income areas.
Hopefully not.

We continue to maintain Medicine with a Foundation Year courses and still prioritise widening participation students through these unprecedented times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads