Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i did a biology mock today and the 25 mark question was about the different structure/functions of polymers.. i just realised that i only wrote about polysaccharides (starch, cellulose, glycogen) when i couldve written about polypeptides / polynucleotides....now im scared/upset bc i feel like ive lost a lot of easy marks that i couldve got. i wrote a bit about diabetes as "above spec" by linking it to glucose, i also wrote a bit about how cellulose gives the plant structural support which is good for transport of water/sugars. i know this is a bit vague but how around how many marks do you think i would get... i did go into detail in each para abt starch, cellulose and glycogen
H2k20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0603)
so i did a biology mock today and the 25 mark question was about the different structure/functions of polymers.. i just realised that i only wrote about polysaccharides (starch, cellulose, glycogen) when i couldve written about polypeptides / polynucleotides....now im scared/upset bc i feel like ive lost a lot of easy marks that i couldve got. i wrote a bit about diabetes as "above spec" by linking it to glucose, i also wrote a bit about how cellulose gives the plant structural support which is good for transport of water/sugars. i know this is a bit vague but how around how many marks do you think i would get... i did go into detail in each para abt starch, cellulose and glycogen
if you look at the way the marks are given out.
You get marks for having good A level detail on DIFFERENT topics. SO all of the polysaccharides come under one topic. To get into band 2 to get to mention a minimum of 4 different topics.
so if the question was about structure of polymers. make a plan thinking of as many topics as you can which have polysaccharide. so for instance like you said starch. then you can branch this of into digestion.
talk bout polypeptides, then you can mention enzymes so digestion again. And then respiration / photosynthesis (ATP synthase)
talking bout polynucleotide, you can talk bout DNA replication, how these code for proteins, their impact. How they are important in mitosis/ meiosis as DNA are arranged in chromosomes.

So basically just plan out first. then write. I did this rough plan in about 5 mins and I have mentioned 4 different topics.
this time you wouldn't get high marks but next time you could.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by H2k20)
if you look at the way the marks are given out.
You get marks for having good A level detail on DIFFERENT topics. SO all of the polysaccharides come under one topic. To get into band 2 to get to mention a minimum of 4 different topics.
so if the question was about structure of polymers. make a plan thinking of as many topics as you can which have polysaccharide. so for instance like you said starch. then you can branch this of into digestion.
talk bout polypeptides, then you can mention enzymes so digestion again. And then respiration / photosynthesis (ATP synthase)
talking bout polynucleotide, you can talk bout DNA replication, how these code for proteins, their impact. How they are important in mitosis/ meiosis as DNA are arranged in chromosomes.

So basically just plan out first. then write. I did this rough plan in about 5 mins and I have mentioned 4 different topics.
this time you wouldn't get high marks but next time you could.
okay, thank u so much.. i branched out a bit and talked about why structural support is linked to transpiration (cohesion-tension theory) then i also talked about how the release of glucose from the energy stores is important for respiration to produce ATP and how the ATP is used in the co-transport of glucose in the ileum but i still don't think i got high marks since i didn't discuss other types of polymers.. thank u again though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (276)
56.44%
I don't have everything I need (213)
43.56%

Watched Threads