2021alevels2021
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A particle, P, moves along a straight line. At time t seconds t>= 0, the displacement , x m, of P from the origin O is given by x =t^3 - 11t^2+24t

Find the greatest distance that P is from the origin in the first 5 seconds of motion.

So I have integrated ( sorry meant differentiated) it to find time when v=0 and I got t=4/3 and t=0

I now have three times but I dont know what to do next.
Do i add all the distances of the three times or pick the time with the greatest distance.

Any help will be appreciated
Last edited by 2021alevels2021; 1 month ago
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 2021alevels2021)
A particle, P, moves along a straight line. At time t seconds t>= 0, the displacement , x m, of P from the origin O is given by x =t^3 - 11t^2+24t

Find the greatest distance that P is from the origin in the first 5 seconds of motion.

So I have integrated it to find time when v=0 and I got t=4/3 and t=0

I now have three times but I dont know what to do next.
Do i add all the distances of the three times or pick the time with the greatest distance.

Any help will be appreciated
You have been given an expression for displacement. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, so to find velocity you need to differentiate (not integrate) the given expression.
2021alevels2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
You have been given an expression for displacement. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, so to find velocity you need to differentiate (not integrate) the given expression.
yeah sorry I meant I differentiated. What do i do next to work out the maximum distance
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah sorry I meant I differentiated. What do i do next to work out the maximum distance
You said in your first post that you had three time when v = 0, then you mentioned two of them. There should actually be two times, and one of them isn't t = 0. Perhaps have another look at your working, and check by plugging your derived times into your expression for v to make sure it is really zero when you think it is. Post your working if stuck.
2021alevels2021
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
You said in your first post that you had three time when v = 0, then you mentioned two of them. There should actually be two times, and one of them isn't t = 0. Perhaps have another look at your working, and check by plugging your derived times into your expression for v to make sure it is really zero when you think it is. Post your working if stuck.
I redid it and got t = 6 and t=4/3
but since the range of time is from one to five I ignored 6.

I also used the extremities of the range so when t= 0 and t = 5 . Do i just sub in these values into the original equation and find out which t gives the greatest value?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
I redid it and got t = 6 and t=4/3
but since the range of time is from one to five I ignored 6.

I also used the extremities of the range so when t= 0 and t = 5 . Do i just sub in these values into the original equation and find out which t gives the greatest value?
Yep.

Note: You're looking for the greatest distance (an unsigned quantity), and x is displacement (a signed quantity). So, you want the greatest absolute value of x.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (197)
57.6%
I don't have everything I need (145)
42.4%

Watched Threads