loisb45
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Bit of history... After getting my A-Levels at college I did History, Sociology and English Literature(Three B's) I got an apprenticeship at a GP surgery for 18 months as a receptionist and after completing this got Business Administration Level 3 diploma and got a distinction.

I then got a permanent job, where I am at the moment as a receptionist part time at another GP surgery. The GP is stressful but I do some certain aspects. I have been given increased responsibility, which surely is a good thing, right? And an offer to increase hours?

I know this is all positive news but I am still none the wiser of what I want to do? How does someone figure that out I have no clue? Will I ever figure out my career what I want to do? have thought about social work or journalism? But I keep going back and forth.

I would love to hear from over people and their experience.

Thanks

L
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
After much contemplation, I tried to rediscover what I want after leaving university. I thought I knew, until reality hits me.

Things I'd look into:

• Personality test and their career recommendations e.g. MBTI (for certain employers, they can pick other people just because they have a certain personality)
  • List your likes and dislikes
  • What are your values? - This can be a big thing
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
  • What did you thought about doing when you were 5 or a young age without any prejudices
  • What have people said about you as a person, and what have people thought you'd do when you were growing up

I'd then check the following:
  • YouTube videos of people talking about their degrees and careers
  • Blog posts about people's experiences and the nature of the industry
  • Asking people in my network to see if they know someone I could get career advice from - you want it to be as unbiased as possible
  • National Career Service website for detailed breakdown on the legal requirements to do the profession, and the recommended qualifications if you're intending to work/remain in the UK (if you want to work abroad or elsewhere, you need to check the equivalent on the country's government website for their equivalent of National Career Service)
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This is only a editable list

Values and morals
Career goals
Aspirations for the future
Skills
Likes and dislikes
Growth mindset
Positive attitude
Strengths and weaknesses
Access to resources
Results of any career quizzes
Opinions of those around you
Talent
Empathy

Resources

LinkedIn
Glass door
Indeed
Facebook
Career experts
Career books
Newspaper articles
Magazines
Articles
Twitter
Company sites
Craigslist
Other people
Flyers
Leaflets
TV adverts
Radio adverts and bulletins
Press releases
Newsletters
Seminars
Web-chats
Instagram
Pinterest
Posters
loisb45
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
This is only a editable list

Values and morals
Career goals
Aspirations for the future
Skills
Likes and dislikes
Growth mindset
Positive attitude
Strengths and weaknesses
Access to resources
Results of any career quizzes
Opinions of those around you
Talent
Empathy

Resources

LinkedIn
Glass door
Indeed
Facebook
Career experts
Career books
Newspaper articles
Magazines
Articles
Twitter
Company sites
Craigslist
Other people
Flyers
Leaflets
TV adverts
Radio adverts and bulletins
Press releases
Newsletters
Seminars
Web-chats
Instagram
Pinterest
Posters
Thanks for this helpful list? What do you advise I do? What did you do? What career tests did you use ? I have used a few but don't what one is best.

Did you find out what you want to do? How? Are there health careers which aren't medical? Am I in a god position
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would recommend strongly doing a online careers test first. Once you have a idea of what you hope to achieve and what your skills are too then start applying directly. I used the NCS one last year. Quite detailed and accurate. You will have to read the feedback report at the end. Make sure to carefully read the questions in order to understand what they are assessing etc.
loisb45
Rep:
?
I would recommend strongly doing a online careers test first. Once you have a idea of what you hope to achieve and what your skills are too then start applying directly. I used the NCS one last year. Quite detailed and accurate. You will have to read the feedback report at the end. Make sure to carefully read the questions in order to understand what they are assessing etc.
What do/ what you want to do? Any careers in health and social that are not medical.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Receptionist
loisb45
Rep:
?
Receptionist
I am doing this at the moment trying to find careers I can progress onto
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Occupational therapist
Social worker
Community support worker
Care home staff
Physical therapist
Nurse
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Teacher?
loisb45
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I do not know what I want to do?How do you figure that out? Thinking about a OU degree in Politics or History/English but how does that lead to a definitive career? I'm 20 and feeling like I have no clue what I am doing !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (316)
84.04%
No (60)
15.96%

Watched Threads