hellostudent28
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have just turned 28 and have never had a job before. I keep getting rejected from companies, even McDonalds didn't want me. What on earth do I do, I have done volunteering before but I would like to earn a bit of money. Its not my fault that my past has been so bad I haven't been able to get a job, 3 major operations now and having cancer has seen to that
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Re read your resume. See if you can make improvements and modifications. Have a careers advisor look at it. They can pitch in and offer suggestions and tips.
hellostudent28
Rep:
?
I have done, it looks good. And career advisors don't work
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Re read your resume. See if you can make improvements and modifications. Have a careers advisor look at it. They can pitch in and offer suggestions and tips.
In fairness, there's only so many ways anyone can rewrite a non existent work history

OP, as much as you think career services can't help, I suspect you would need some sort of dedicated assistance and support to get you into work, sorting out what you want, what you would be able to offer an employer and you are willing and able to learn. I think you'd really struggle without some sort of leg up.

Standard advice is keep plugging away with applications and volunteering, but I feel you might need something more direct.
hellostudent28
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
In fairness, there's only so many ways anyone can rewrite a non existent work history

OP, as much as you think career services can't help, I suspect you would need some sort of dedicated assistance and support to get you into work, sorting out what you want, what you would be able to offer an employer and you are willing and able to learn. I think you'd really struggle without some sort of leg up.

Standard advice is keep plugging away with applications and volunteering, but I feel you might need something more direct.
And why would I struggle without leg up. I need a part time job because I can't work full time as Im in university. People in these jobs should understand people get bullied, get depressed, have cancer and have had 3 major operations but they don't care. They think everyone has to be in the same position
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hellostudent28)
And why would I struggle without leg up. I need a part time job because I can't work full time as Im in university. People in these jobs should understand people get bullied, get depressed, have cancer and have had 3 major operations but they don't care. They think everyone has to be in the same position
Because you are 28 with zero work history which is extremely uncompetitive and to be blunt you need help with your bitter attitude if this is your approach.

Everyone faces hardships but no one owes you a job and none of your circumstances are a prospective employers fault. Tbh you're the one that will need to tart themselves up for employers, not the other way around.
hellostudent28
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Because you are 28 with zero work history which is extremely uncompetitive and to be blunt you need help with your bitter attitude if this is your approach.

Everyone faces hardships but no one owes you a job and none of your circumstances are a prospective employers fault. Tbh you're the one that will need to tart themselves up for employers, not the other way around.
Right and what on earth am I expected to do. And I know but they are not MY fault either, If I hadn't had these things I would have finished uni, been working and possibly married with kids by now but I'm still living with my parents
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Right and what on earth am I expected to do. And I know but they are not MY fault either, If I hadn't had these things I would have finished uni, been working and possibly married with kids by now but I'm still living with my parents
I'd be looking at what work support agencies were available locally, this is literally what they are for and they have the connections, there will be all sorts for all circumstances that will take a sympathetic view to life circumstances and can offer an avenue to work.

I dealt with a place a few years ago called Jobs & Business Glasgow and this is largely what they did, took people who for whatever reason had fallen through the cracks and struggled to find work and learn the soft skills needed and gave them access to short term jobs with a fair bit of leeway and support to get them started.
hellostudent28
Rep:
?
Mate I need a part time job these things are for full time jobs not part time
hellostudent28
Rep:
?
Anybody else
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mate I need a part time job these things are for full time jobs not part time
I bet they would be able to help you find part time work as well.
You don't know unless you give them a try.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (251)
57.44%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed