History NEA help! Which answer makes more sense to you?

Watch
Anonymousamie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My question: ‘Religion was the main cause of rebellion in England in the years 1500-1603’. Assess the validity of this view.

For months I’ve been conflicted over what exactly I’m being asked. Do I have to 100% determined which the MAIN cause was, or am I able to argue that they were interrelated?

My historians are G.R. Elton, essentially a Cromwell enthusiast who argues for courtly conspiracies and faction as being the fundamental cause, and C.S.L Davies, who is a social historian focusing on factors such as population rise, enclosure, poverty, inflation, etc.

SO, I’m wondering am I able to completely invalidate the statement and say there was an amalgamation of cause, as against one main cause, which would make the structure far easier, or do I have to pick a MAIN cause throughout, if that makes sense?

I’ve been planning this since March of Year 12 by the way, but I keep switching my argument and just want to make a final decision. Thanks!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
My question: ‘Religion was the main cause of rebellion in England in the years 1500-1603’. Assess the validity of this view.

For months I’ve been conflicted over what exactly I’m being asked. Do I have to 100% determined which the MAIN cause was, or am I able to argue that they were interrelated?

My historians are G.R. Elton, essentially a Cromwell enthusiast who argues for courtly conspiracies and faction as being the fundamental cause, and C.S.L Davies, who is a social historian focusing on factors such as population rise, enclosure, poverty, inflation, etc.

SO, I’m wondering am I able to completely invalidate the statement and say there was an amalgamation of cause, as against one main cause, which would make the structure far easier, or do I have to pick a MAIN cause throughout, if that makes sense?

I’ve been planning this since March of Year 12 by the way, but I keep switching my argument and just want to make a final decision. Thanks!
The statement 'religion was the MAIN CAUSE of rebellion in England in the years 1500-1603' can be contested, you don't have to necessarily agree with this statement and you can use other academics' works/ideas to build a convincing argument for/against the statement. Whatever side of the argument you sit with this, you also want to consider other factors in relation to the rebellion in England in the years 1500-1603. I don't know this part of history very well, but assuming that there are numerous factors, it's likely that you won't be able to cover them all so be selective - maybe 2 or 3 other factors that you explore in depth. Depth is better than breadth - you want to be analytical not descriptive.

I hope this helps you make sense of what the question is asking you to do. I would also speak to your history teacher if you need more guidance with your NEA.
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
The statement 'religion was the MAIN CAUSE of rebellion in England in the years 1500-1603' can be contested, you don't have to necessarily agree with this statement and you can use other academics' works/ideas to build a convincing argument for/against the statement. Whatever side of the argument you sit with this, you also want to consider other factors in relation to the rebellion in England in the years 1500-1603. I don't know this part of history very well, but assuming that there are numerous factors, it's likely that you won't be able to cover them all so be selective - maybe 2 or 3 other factors that you explore in depth. Depth is better than breadth - you want to be analytical not descriptive.

I hope this helps you make sense of what the question is asking you to do. I would also speak to your history teacher if you need more guidance with your NEA.
Thank you! These are the themes I’m exploring:
- Religion as the main cause
- Political/dynastic disputes as the main cause
- Socio-economic grievances as the main cause
Of these three themes, however, do I need to pick ONE that I believe counts as the main cause, or am I able to say they were interconnected?
I ask because I feel like one factor cannot exist in the absence of another e.g. with the Pilgrimage of Grace, there were religious, socio-economic AND political causes, so how do I know which was the main?
Thanks again
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
Thank you! These are the themes I’m exploring:
- Religion as the main cause
- Political/dynastic disputes as the main cause
- Socio-economic grievances as the main cause
Of these three themes, however, do I need to pick ONE that I believe counts as the main cause, or am I able to say they were interconnected?
I ask because I feel like one factor cannot exist in the absence of another e.g. with the Pilgrimage of Grace, there were religious, socio-economic AND political causes, so how do I know which was the main?
Thanks again
I'm not familiar with the topic as I said, but that doesn't really matter. The question does ask you to argue what theme/factor you think is the 'main cause' for the English rebellion in the years 1500-1603 so you could argue that there is indeed a main cause and it may not necessarily be what the statement of the question states or alternatively argue that they were interconnected - I think the latter might be seen as sitting a bit on the fence but you could still run with it. It's probably great to sometimes be a bit bold with your arguments even if you disagree with it but if you can make that argument convincing and answer the question (easier said than done sometimes), your NEA essay should be looking good.

I would still speak to your history teacher to just double check in terms of guidance about how you could answer the question or put it another way, what is the question asking you to do. Again, I hope this is helpful in some way.
Last edited by CoffeeAndPolitics; 1 month ago
Anonymousamie
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
I'm not familiar with the topic as I said, but that doesn't really matter. The question does ask you to argue what theme/factor you think is the 'main cause' for the English rebellion in the years 1500-1603 so you could argue that there is indeed a main cause and it may not necessarily be what the statement of the question states or alternatively argue that they were interconnected - I think the latter might be seen as sitting a bit on the fence but you could still run with it. It's probably to sometimes be a bit bold with your arguments even if you disagree with it but if you can make that argument convincing and answer the question (easier said than done sometimes), your NEA essay should be looking good.

I would still speak to your history teacher to just double check in terms of guidance about how you could answer the question or put it another way, what is the question asking you to do. Again, I hope this is helpful in some way.
Thank you so much, that’s great help. Yes exactly, I was worried focusing on the interrelatedness on the factors would make me seem indecisive, so I’ll go with socio-economic circumstances as the main cause since I’ve found plenty of evidence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads