Pascoajuli
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied for a university to do paramedic science, they rejected me because i lacked the work experience and as it is such a popular choice they couldn't offer an interview. But they added two options that they suggested i could apply too. They have given me a week to reply and email a personal statement for the option i have chosen. Is this a good sign? Should i take the opportunity or is this something that universities do with most applications.
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's a sign that these courses are heavily undersubscribed and they are desperate for students. I'd investigate why this might be the case for example looking at graduate outcome surveys
Pascoajuli
Rep:
?
Where would i find these for the specific courses. I was offered adult nursing and operating department practitioner. Im quite surprised at that response as i thought adult nursing was one of the more populated subjects.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check their website
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pascoajuli)
I applied for a university to do paramedic science, they rejected me because i lacked the work experience and as it is such a popular choice they couldn't offer an interview. But they added two options that they suggested i could apply too. They have given me a week to reply and email a personal statement for the option i have chosen. Is this a good sign? Should i take the opportunity or is this something that universities do with most applications.
The big issue is. Do you want to/would you be happy taking the subjects they have offered you. if you feel yes take it otherwise reject it. Universities do sometimes offer alternatives to fill their courses. Paramedic Science has small intakes and perhaps they feel thy can easily fill their spaces.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its VERY common to be offered an alternative course when rejected from your original course.
Even Russell Group Unis do it. Its kinder than just saying No, and they might be able to accept you for another subject instead.

Go for it. You dont have to pick this as your F or I if you get 'better' offers but it may be a lifeline if you don't.
Look at the course descriptions, and decide if they interest you.
AK121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The uni clearly liked your personal statement enough to consider you for another course. You should look at the other courses and see if they interest you at all. If the course aren't for you then don't then don't accept the offer but if you could see yourself doing one of them they why not swap it?

Good luck either way
Pascoajuli
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Its VERY common to be offered an alternative course when rejected from your original course.
Even Russell Group Unis do it. Its kinder than just saying No, and they might be able to accept you for another subject instead.

Go for it. You dont have to pick this as your F or I if you get 'better' offers but it may be a lifeline if you don't.
Look at the course descriptions, and decide if they interest you.
Thank you, I think thats everything i really wanted to know
BlueLightDriver
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won't get funding for a paramedic degree if you already have a degree in a different subject. So don't just take a random degree because you're offered it - make sure you want it. Otherwise it may mess up your future.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to be a paramedic rather than a nurse and don't get any offers for that this year it would be better to take a gap year, gain some relevant work experience and reapply next year.
Kemi.B
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a normal process for many uni's, but not all. It shows that whilst you may not be well-suited to the initial course you had applied to, they did like your application enough to offer you alternative and similar courses. It is completely your decision, and you shouldn't feel pressured to take it, if it isn't what you're interested in then you can politely decline.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Especially for healthcare courses, it’s rarely the case that they’re offering an alternative course because it’s undersubscribed or has lower graduate prospects. It’s likely you’ve been offered them because the uni’s like ‘okay so maybe you don’t have the skillset/qualifications at the moment for this course, but you do for this course if you would consider it.’
Don’t take a course if you know you don’t want to work in that area, especially because of the funding implications for paramedic science that someone has already previously informed you of.
If you can’t access a paramedic course this year, either take a year out and volunteer/work in healthcare somewhere (either as a HCA, or St John volunteer etc etc). Or take an extra college course such as the Access course to fill your time and give more knowledge/experience.
llamayears
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there! If you choose nursing you can actually do a postgraduate course to enter the ambulance service, so the doors aren't closing on you. Nursing may be a good opportunity and you might like it. If not you can always reapply next year for paramedic science.
I strongly recommend you join the Facebook group 'So you want to become a paramedic'. They will give you some great advice for your situation and there are people also in the same situation at the minute as you.
Best of luck 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads