The Student Room Group

social mobility

hey has anyone signed up for social mobility? if so, could you let me know if it’s worth it and what benefit it would give. thanks in advance :smile:)
Original post by pmcgx
hey has anyone signed up for social mobility? if so, could you let me know if it’s worth it and what benefit it would give. thanks in advance :smile:)

Hi, I’m in y13 and I’ve been on the programme. I think it’s a good programme personally, you have a mentor assigned and if you’re lucky, they live in the same city that you do so there’s a possibility of getting wc from them (corona disrupted mine so I couldn’t but my mentor is a psychiatrist so I was looking forward for it bc I’d not seen medicine from her POV) they also help with advice abs prep for ucas, they have a personal statement checker system that you submit final drafts to - highly recommended this and try to finish your ps as early as possible bc their deadline to send in ps is kinda early. Out of everyone who saw my ps, they were the most helpful and gave me really good advice! Overall I think it’s such a good programme to get onto if you can. The only bad thing (in my opinion) is the online seminars, I found that they mostly discussed things that I was aware of already so it was always a waste of time and I felt that I could’ve used my time more wisely. On the other hand, sometimes their webinars are actually very informative , especially when they bring external people to give the seminars themselves. Another good thing is the amount of wc opportunities they find- they have lots of connections so they knew about different things that were going on before I did ( I used to research quite a fair bit myself and they always used to find one or two things more). If you don’t think it’s worth it, you could apply to Target Med with UCL. I’m on that too and I really like that! My advice would be that it’s worth it bc there’s more advantages than disadvantages... good luck to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending