Not sure how to feel (Oxbridge)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My friends and I mostly applied to Oxbridge courses with roughly similar applications however I just received a pre interview rejection and I don't know what I did wrong (3A* Predicted). 4 got interviews for medicine and 1 for PPE. I'm not sure how to feel because idk if I want someone to fail so I can share the feeling and I feel like they think I'm less intelligent because I got rejected.
aspiringmedic202
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I'm going through the same thing (rejected from oxford medicine). Don't take it personally, and remember they reject so many outstanding candidates. Of course, when you're among so many people beaming about their interview excitement and going on about it endlessly you can begin to feel like you've done something wrong, or that getting that interview is the key to success and happiness. I know I felt like that. But seriously, soon I bet most of the people with interviews will be in the same boat as you (getting an interview doesn't mean you won't get rejected). Just try to remember to look at the bigger picture and remember that there are so many equally good universities, and that even applying was a big achievement. At the end of the day, we always end up comparing ourselves with the people in our immediate bubble, but keep in mind the hundreds if not thousands of people in the same boat as you. You are not unintelligent, nor should you let anything make you feel that way.
Sorry for rambling (you can tell I don't often write essays). Hope it helps somewhat anyway x
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My friends and I mostly applied to Oxbridge courses with roughly similar applications however I just received a pre interview rejection and I don't know what I did wrong (3A* Predicted). 4 got interviews for medicine and 1 for PPE. I'm not sure how to feel because idk if I want someone to fail so I can share the feeling and I feel like they think I'm less intelligent because I got rejected.
(Original post by aspiringmedic202)
Hey, I'm going through the same thing (rejected from oxford medicine). Don't take it personally, and remember they reject so many outstanding candidates. Of course, when you're among so many people beaming about their interview excitement and going on about it endlessly you can begin to feel like you've done something wrong, or that getting that interview is the key to success and happiness. I know I felt like that. But seriously, soon I bet most of the people with interviews will be in the same boat as you (getting an interview doesn't mean you won't get rejected). Just try to remember to look at the bigger picture and remember that there are so many equally good universities, and that even applying was a big achievement. At the end of the day, we always end up comparing ourselves with the people in our immediate bubble, but keep in mind the hundreds if not thousands of people in the same boat as you. You are not unintelligent, nor should you let anything make you feel that way.
Sorry for rambling (you can tell I don't often write essays). Hope it helps somewhat anyway x
The fact is that applying to Oxford is a lottery. You are no less intelligent today than you were 2 days ago. The best med applicant by a country mile in son's year was head boy, had a gold Duke of Edinburgh award and his rejection was viewed askance by staff and pupils alike. He ended up at Southhampton and is now 6 years on well on his way to fulfilling his ambition to be a heart surgeon.
Just because a group of tutors who have never met you decided not to offer you an interview is no reflection on you. And as medics you will have great course wherever you go. Allow yourself to be upset about Oxford for a few days and then start to plan your future.
It is not how you start it is how you finish as they say. Oxford is lovely but so are many other great unis. Good luck with your future interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (249)
57.37%
I don't have everything I need (185)
42.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed