mirroronthewalls
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm planning my epq based on the effectiveness of the placebo effect and future us however, I don't know how in-depth I should go.
I wanted to talk about the science behind it as well as the psychology which has to enforce it, then moving how it's been used and future use.
Would this be to large to cover? Which should I remove?
Bookworm_88
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mirroronthewalls)
I'm planning my epq based on the effectiveness of the placebo effect and future us however, I don't know how in-depth I should go.
I wanted to talk about the science behind it as well as the psychology which has to enforce it, then moving how it's been used and future use.
Would this be to large to cover? Which should I remove?
I would suggest to leave it big for now, only because you're at the start of your project and you can later on decide to narrow this down, when looking at availability of research, so this decision doesn't need to be made straight away. I initially was looking too focused, my supervisor said, so I expanded my research out, making my epq topic more further reaching, if I want I can always narrow it down later.
Basically start big and then streamline as you go along.
Also, a quick tip, make sure you record what you do down, for example this brainstorming session of you thinking what to cover, as you are marked on the planning etc. not only your final product.
Hope that helps!
mirroronthewalls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bookworm_88)
I would suggest to leave it big for now, only because you're at the start of your project and you can later on decide to narrow this down, when looking at availability of research, so this decision doesn't need to be made straight away. I initially was looking too focused, my supervisor said, so I expanded my research out, making my epq topic more further reaching, if I want I can always narrow it down later.
Basically start big and then streamline as you go along.
Also, a quick tip, make sure you record what you do down, for example this brainstorming session of you thinking what to cover, as you are marked on the planning etc. not only your final product.
Hope that helps!
That actually does help, thank you. My tutors been giving me deadlines to reach which are troublesome with being in Yr13 and having a load of mocks.
I may change it to placebo effect on Parkinson's disease and such depending on the resources available and quality.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That actually does help, thank you. My tutors been giving me deadlines to reach which are troublesome with being in Yr13 and having a load of mocks.
I may change it to placebo effect on Parkinson's disease and such depending on the resources available and quality.
Ah, that makes sense UCAS and all.
Same, I have been having to meet deadlines as well
Also, quick q: Did your sixth form/college not offer EPQ in Yr 12?
mirroronthewalls
Rep:
?
Ah, that makes sense UCAS and all.
Same, I have been having to meet deadlines as well
Also, quick q: Did your sixth form/college not offer EPQ in Yr 12?
They did but I wasn't aware of it until later which was when I was working and didn't have time to take it, not in a better situation now since I have to juggle working, catching up on yr13 and yr12 work as well as mocks and interviews but I decided to have a go.
Wish me luck
Can I ask what yours is on? As well as your time management?
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They did but I wasn't aware of it until later which was when I was working and didn't have time to take it, not in a better situation now since I have to juggle working, catching up on yr13 and yr12 work as well as mocks and interviews but I decided to have a go.
Wish me luck
Can I ask what yours is on? As well as your time management?
You'll do great, even if you do a bit every so often, it all adds up. It's all really in the planning and organising. Once you have them under your belt the rest should fall into place.
I am doing mine on possible alternative therapeutics to antibiotics. I was initially just going to compare antibiotics to bacteriophages (viruses that kill bacteria) but my supervisor (who is also, ironically a Biology teacher and Deputy Head of Sixth Form) told me to expand my argument and find some more alternatives to make my evaluation have a bigger scope. So I'm currently doing Bacteriophages vs Antimicrobial Peptides vs Metal Nanoparticles vs Antibiotics in a nut shell.
I haven't been able to focus that much on my Project because I did a couple test in the last 2 weeks or so, but I am currently at the start of the research process and collecting sources etc. We have 2 taught lessons a week, but there finishing soon, so I will probably dedicate those two free periods, solely to EPQ.
mirroronthewalls
Rep:
?
That's pretty interesting, could I give it a read after we've sent epq's in for grading because the title is intriguing.
I told my tutor about the scope I was trying to do which I mentioned in this first post about the placebo effect but was told to cut it down instead. I have lessons once a fortnight so I'm left to my own devices most of it.
I'm currently trying to find resources since many articles are inaccessible although I've found some free ones on pubmed which seem reliable in date and research.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's pretty interesting, could I give it a read after we've sent epq's in for grading because the title is intriguing.
I told my tutor about the scope I was trying to do which I mentioned in this first post about the placebo effect but was told to cut it down instead. I have lessons once a fortnight so I'm left to my own devices most of it.
I'm currently trying to find resources since many articles are inaccessible although I've found some free ones on pubmed which seem reliable in date and research.
Yeah sure, you'll have to remind me at the time though!
Yeah, I was going to say pubmed as well, the same issue occurs with me (or any STEM EPQ in general) that, or the fact the vocab/ depth is too great. You could also try: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ That's given me some articles too, all of which I believe are free full text articles.
mirroronthewalls
Rep:
?
Yeah sure, you'll have to remind me at the time though!
Yeah, I was going to say pubmed as well, the same issue occurs with me (or any STEM EPQ in general) that, or the fact the vocab/ depth is too great. You could also try: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ That's given me some articles too, all of which I believe are free full text articles.
I've just looked at it now, thank you for the reference it looks like a great source!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (246)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise