The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chryssucks
provider? it’s also his anniversary not just yours..

And so he gets to enjoy his wonderful dinner with his lovely girlfriend plus a gift and something else memorable to him that I got him. There, we're both happy.
Original post by Anonymous
no

it’s always been a difficult subject for us. I’m not into stingy people who want to count money and split everything 50/50. It might work for some of you but for me that kind of person turns me off as i’m very giving with money. So when he’s mentioned ‘times that i said i’d pay and i didn’t’ it’s been really difficult to overcome that and that’s lead to some insecurity from me when he does want to split.

You’re the one being stingy, trying to get someone to spend crazy amounts of money on you just because of their gender :/
no

it’s always been a difficult subject for us. I’m not into stingy people who want to count money and split everything 50/50. It might work for some of you but for me that kind of person turns me off as i’m very giving with money. So when he’s mentioned ‘times that i said i’d pay and i didn’t’ it’s been really difficult to overcome that and that’s lead to some insecurity from me when he does want to split.

but- it’s your anniversary.. maybe on different circumstances yeah i guess but it’s a shared occasion so it would make sense to split 50/50.
Original post by Interea
"I'm very giving with money" they say as they complain about having to pay equal amounts as their boyfriend who has less expendable income than them

hey you have no idea what i’ve spent on him or others or anything about my life. but You’re getting rude on a student room forum Lmao
Original post by chryssucks
but- it’s your anniversary.. maybe on different circumstances yeah i guess but it’s a shared occasion so it would make sense to split 50/50.

Okay makes sense. I know it’s a shared event and i do spoil him i just thought it would be a nice gesture and it kinda bummed me out that he didn’t think of it , but yeah it’s a celebration of both of us
Original post by Interea
"I'm very giving with money" they say as they complain about having to pay equal amounts as their boyfriend who has less expendable income than them

PRSOM
‘we’re honest with you’

When i posted this i didn’t think i’d get 20 me who have never had a girlfriend in their life reply though?
Okay makes sense. I know it’s a shared event and i do spoil him i just thought it would be a nice gesture and it kinda bummed me out that he didn’t think of it , but yeah it’s a celebration of both of us

i understand where you are coming from, maybe talk to him about it. hope you enjoy your anniversary.
I don't really understand.

Why would you expect him to pay for both of you? (You even earn more than him!)
Who suggested going to the expensive restaurant and who paid for the anniversary meal last year?

Maybe it would be helpful if you offered to pay this year's total aniversary meal bill.
Your bf may be walking a financial tightrope on reduced hours, furlough or helping to support friends/family members who are.

As pretty much everyone here has said, it is an anniversary for both of you and thus the meal should be paid by both of you - this is the logical thing to do. The fact that you just assumed that he would pay for the meal and are now upset that he won't, just seems a bit illogical and blowing things out of proportion, tbh...

You could equally offer to pay for the whole meal as a nice gesture, especially as you earn more
to assume he’d pay is kinda *****y... i can get if it’s for your birthday but this is your anniversary where you should both be spoiling each other and i don’t mean with just gifts and paying for meals
It’s his anniversary too and he’s already spending quite a lot of money on flipping earrings and makeup.
why cant you treat him “on this special occasion”? its not just your anniversary so idk why you expect to have the most things done for you. its not your birthday. its a mutual day soo splitting seems the most reasonable?
Reply 35
How un-gentleman-ly of him. Taking you out for a nice meal even when hes not sure he can afford even his half? Buying you nice gifts when his salary already seems a bit stretched? And then asking you to spend a bit of money to help him out?!
:rolleyes:

Given that you seem to have no clasp on how financials work I can assume you are well off in that department. Its not something to be worked up about.
Oh damn, all I can say is when in relationship it's important that you guys can share the same values. You shouldn't assume especially if you are not sure of what he's accustomed to. For our anniversary this year my boyfriend paid for our meal, spoilt me but dw I spoilt him right back with things that matter to him.

These people saying that an anniversary is mutual appreciation are correct but what your boyfriend may see as your appreciation towards him may be different from you paying his meal or splitting it. Hope that made sense! I hope you have fun on your anniversary!
something else is a problem here haha
Original post by LovelyMrFox
How un-gentleman-ly of him. Taking you out for a nice meal even when hes not sure he can afford even his half? Buying you nice gifts when his salary already seems a bit stretched? And then asking you to spend a bit of money to help him out?!
:rolleyes:

Given that you seem to have no clasp on how financials work I can assume you are well off in that department. Its not something to be worked up about.

Depends on who suggested the restaurant. But wouldn't it be silly of him to suggest or agree going to a restaurant he can't afford and agreeing to buy something he can't afford?
Women died fighting for equality. You can’t take the bits of equality that suit you and bin the rest.

I’m a student. My boyf is a student. We take it in turns to pay on a day to day basis, but for a more expensive occasion then either one of us might ‘gift’ the meal if the other isn’t bothered about a gift - or we’d split the bill. Neither of us are particularly materialistic, we prefer to spend the money we have on travel or shared experiences.

We prefer to have a relationship built on love, equality and mutual respect, it makes me cringe a bit to think that some females still want to be a bit of a pampered princess in this day and age.

Latest

Trending

Trending