The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
And so he gets to enjoy his wonderful dinner with his lovely girlfriend plus a gift and something else memorable to him that I got him. There, we're both happy.

this gives me gold digger vibes. similarly you get to have a wonderful dinner with your lovely boyfriend plus a gift. what does it matter who pays? you said you’re not one of those people who counts every penny you’ve spent on someone and are very giving but you’ve also said you’ve spent a lot of money on him and how we have no idea how much you’ve spent on him which makes me think you are that type of person to some extent
‘we’re honest with you’

When i posted this i didn’t think i’d get 20 me who have never had a girlfriend in their life reply though?

“you have no idea about my life or how much money i’ve spent on him!” they say has they go on to make assumptions that everyone disagreeing with them has never been in a relationship in their lives!
no

it’s always been a difficult subject for us. I’m not into stingy people who want to count money and split everything 50/50. It might work for some of you but for me that kind of person turns me off as i’m very giving with money. So when he’s mentioned ‘times that i said i’d pay and i didn’t’ it’s been really difficult to overcome that and that’s lead to some insecurity from me when he does want to split.

Well you need to deal with your insecurities because you are being really unfair on him and that’s not healthy.
hey you have no idea what i’ve spent on him or others or anything about my life. but You’re getting rude on a student room forum Lmao

Being condescending about a students opinion on a student forum is kinda rich. If you don’t want people’s opinions then maybe don’t ask....

(I’ve been in a relationship with my boyfriend three years btw..)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 44
Just pay, its not even hard
Original post by AnnaBananana
Women died fighting for equality. You can’t take the bits of equality that suit you and bin the rest.

I’m a student. My boyf is a student. We take it in turns to pay on a day to day basis, but for a more expensive occasion then either one of us might ‘gift’ the meal if the other isn’t bothered about a gift - or we’d split the bill. Neither of us are particularly materialistic, we prefer to spend the money we have on travel or shared experiences.

We prefer to have a relationship built on love, equality and mutual respect, it makes me cringe a bit to think that some females still want to be a bit of a pampered princess in this day and age.

Original post by brokestudent3
this gives me gold digger vibes. similarly you get to have a wonderful dinner with your lovely boyfriend plus a gift. what does it matter who pays? you said you’re not one of those people who counts every penny you’ve spent on someone and are very giving but you’ve also said you’ve spent a lot of money on him and how we have no idea how much you’ve spent on him which makes me think you are that type of person to some extent

Erm I'm a different person, I'm not the OP lol. People confuse gold digging with being hypergamous. But I've noticed it's only called golddigging to someone who can't afford it.
Reply 46
hi guys
I’m 22 and my bf is 25. I currently earn more mone than him but we are both on graduate jobs. It’s our 2 year anniversary next week and we are going to this fancy place in london. He asked me what i wanted and i said some makeup and these Designer earrings which were kind of pricey (£150)! I got him something if a similar value but more suited to his interests hehe.

He has said that he didn’t realise the restaurant was so expensive and that he may not be able to afford it (it’s 60pp) so asked if we could split. Obviously i don’t mind splitting meals but as this was our anniversary i’d think he was going to treat me on this special occasion. It’s not that i need him to pay desperately but if he did that would be really sweet and a kind gesture on this special occasion.

Am i overreacting for thinking he perhaps could have saved up a bit for this month or put some money aside for this? I’m obviously going to split the bill with him but part of me just assumed he’d be an old fashioned gentleman 😞

So you've both spent about the same on gifts for each other for your special day together, great!

You say you obviously don't mind splitting the bill but here you are complaining online hoping we'll all agree with you about how he should pay as he's the man. He's already spent a lot on you and it's your joint anniversary so why - in the sense of money - do you deserve to have more spent on you? You have said you can afford the meal and wish he had saved up for it, if he's having to save up extra then it's not worth it. If it really bothers you maybe ask him to take you to mcdonald's and pay for you there.
Erm I'm a different person, I'm not the OP lol. People confuse gold digging with being hypergamous. But I've noticed it's only called golddigging to someone who can't afford it.

ah sorry, on mobile so it all just comes up as anonymous for me, i don’t see Anonymous #1, 2 etc
Reply 48
Depends on who suggested the restaurant. But wouldn't it be silly of him to suggest or agree going to a restaurant he can't afford and agreeing to buy something he can't afford?

With OP's entitled attitude which I can assume played a part in picking which restaurant they went to, not really.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
With OP's entitled attitude which I can assume played a part in picking which restaurant they went to, not really.

If we assumed that she picked the restaurant then why agree to go a restaurant you can't afford. If you can't communicate this to your partner then you shouldn't cry about it later if you did nothing to stop it.
gifts, the cost of them and meals out in fancy restaurants is meaningless. This relationship is not going to last. You sound very shallow and interested in gesture and show. That isn't what love is about.
gifts, the cost of them and meals out in fancy restaurants is meaningless. This relationship is not going to last. You sound very shallow and interested in gesture and show. That isn't what love is about.

Love is subjective there's no set rules to follow, well besides what counts as healthy.
no

it’s always been a difficult subject for us. I’m not into stingy people who want to count money and split everything 50/50. It might work for some of you but for me that kind of person turns me off as i’m very giving with money. So when he’s mentioned ‘times that i said i’d pay and i didn’t’ it’s been really difficult to overcome that and that’s lead to some insecurity from me when he does want to split.

If you're giving with money then why don't you pay for both of you? After all, it's his anniversary too
imagine if one of u has to self isolate cos of covid and all of this is for nothing tho
If we assumed that she picked the restaurant then why agree to go a restaurant you can't afford. If you can't communicate this to your partner then you shouldn't cry about it later if you did nothing to stop it.

maybe OP begged to go to said restaurant and wouldn’t agree to anywhere else?
It can be healthy if they both have the same values but I wouldn't say that their relationship is unhealthy it's seems to me that they both need some communication. You're making this into a bigger deal than it is.

She only wanted him to pay for dinner, you're acting like shes draining the life and money out of her boyfriend. We don't know her relationship or them personally so I can't fully talk about who they are as a person.
Original post by brokestudent3
maybe OP begged to go to said restaurant and wouldn’t agree to anywhere else?

Keyword, "maybe" we don't know anything.
It can be healthy if they both have the same values but I wouldn't say that their relationship is unhealthy it's seems to me that they both need some communication. You're making this into a bigger deal than it is.

She only wanted him to pay for dinner, you're acting like shes draining the life and money out of her boyfriend. We don't know her relationship or them personally so I can't fully talk about who they are as a person.

idk if u know this but moneys like kind of an important thing people need to live so they have a roof over their heads and access to food and clean water. he spent £150-£200 of gifts - for some people, if they spent that much on an anniversary they wouldn’t be able to pay a monthly payment of their mortgage or their rent. u don’t know what OP’s boyfriend might be sacrificing to get these gifts and go to this dinner. a fancy expensive restaurant shouldn’t have been picked knowing his income if he’s spent that much on gifts. and given that OP makes more than the boyfriend, it’s seems more like OP picked the restaurants
(edited 3 years ago)
:toofunny:mkay entitled much
Reply 59
i don’t feel that i do but he knows my love languages and that is being spoiled - whether that be with words or affection etc. So i thought he’d pick up the bill

what are you doing for the anniversary that matches his love languages?

Latest

Trending

Trending