AnthonyStacks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I'm in the process of applying for Student Finance for Open University.

I spoke to a SFE advisor on the phone, they stated that part time students do not receive a maintenance loan unless there's a disability for distant learning.

However, on SaveTheStudent, they state part time students do receive a maintenance loan :

"How part-time Maintenance Loans are calculated in England
Part-time Maintenance Loans are calculated as a percentage of the full-time loan, based on the intensity of your studies. However, it's not an exact percentage – instead, intensities of study are grouped into bands, and the lower end of the band determines how big a loan you receive."

https://www.savethestudent.org/stude...t-finance.html

Does anyone know if part time students can receive a maintenance loan? It's really confusing.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AnthonyStacks)
Hi there,

I'm in the process of applying for Student Finance for Open University.

I spoke to a SFE advisor on the phone, they stated that part time students do not receive a maintenance loan unless there's a disability for distant learning.

However, on SaveTheStudent, they state part time students do receive a maintenance loan :

"How part-time Maintenance Loans are calculated in England
Part-time Maintenance Loans are calculated as a percentage of the full-time loan, based on the intensity of your studies. However, it's not an exact percentage – instead, intensities of study are grouped into bands, and the lower end of the band determines how big a loan you receive."

https://www.savethestudent.org/stude...t-finance.html

Does anyone know if part time students can receive a maintenance loan? It's really confusing.
Hi Anthony,

Part Time students can receive a Part Time Maintenance Loan which is a new product launched in 2018.

Part Time distance learning students can not receive any Part Time Maintenance Loan unless they have a disability which prevents them attending a physical university.

The Open University is classed as distance learning and therefore you can only receive the maintenance loan if you have a disability.

The full list of evidence required:
-Medical evidence from your GP and/or Consultant confirming that the your condition prevents you from travelling to/from your university and physically attending your university.
-Evidence (this could be emails/correspondence between the yourself and different universities) detailing that you have had discussions with different universities about the facilities available or accessibility as well as why the universities cannot accommodate the your requirements/needs.
-Written confirmation from yourself on how your condition impacts your day-to-day life.

-Evidence from yourself showing how you support yourself financially i.e. benefits/employment.

Thanks, Isaac
sml901
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you answered your own question. A disability only, proof of 12 months continual health problems with evidence is classed as disabled, so if you don't fit the category, unfortunately, you won't get one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (433)
56.45%
I don't have everything I need (334)
43.55%

Watched Threads