Does attending a private school undermine academic performance?

Watch
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thought this would be an interesting debate to share opinions.

After moving from private to state, I often received back-handed comments suggesting that the only reason I was doing well in my studies was due to the fact that I had previously been to a private school. It gradually began to frustrate me that people often attributed my individual academic progress to the fact I attended a private school. A teacher even said that I didn't need help one lesson because I "went to a private school. Had a better education". Whilst intended as a joke, the comment definitely made me question whether I would have done as well in my studies had I previously attended a state school. To what extent was my academic progress a result of my previous education? Was this solely a case of nurture over nature? As someone who had zero academic confidence, I began to doubt my natural intelligence.

Of course, I had definitely given too much thought to the case, but nevertheless, I'd like to hear your thoughts: do you think attending a private school undermines academic performance? Should people attend private schools on this basis?
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aconstanthamlet)

After moving from private to state, I often received back-handed comments suggesting that the only reason I was doing well in my studies was due to the fact that I had previously been to a private school. It gradually began to frustrate me that people often attributed my individual academic progress to the fact I attended a private school. A teacher even said that I didn't need help one lesson because I "went to a private school. Had a better education". Whilst intended as a joke, the comment definitely made me question whether I would have done as well in my studies had I previously attended a state school. To what extent was my academic progress a result of my previous education? Was this solely a case of nurture over nature? As someone who had zero academic confidence, I began to doubt my natural intelligence.

Of course, I had definitely given too much thought to the case, but nevertheless, I'd like to hear your thoughts: do you think attending a private school undermines academic performance? Should people attend private schools on this basis?
Keep your focus and ignore the haters. If it was reversed, they would have accused you of snobbery. All the best.
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Keep your focus and ignore the haters. If it was reversed, they would have accused you of snobbery. All the best.
Thank you for the kind comment! Luckily I've finished A-Levels now
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
no it does not.
Banechann
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aconstanthamlet)

I personally think it all depends on the student. If they want to perform well academically, they will, despite the condition of the school/college.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a hot button topic.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No matter what kind of school you go to, your teachers can’t learn the material for you, nor can they take your exams for you. It is you who has to be sufficiently intelligent and hard working to be able to achieve anything.

Yes, private schools do tend to achieve better results than state schools, but I think they have two main “tricks” up their sleeve for this to happen.

Firstly, they are selective. They often have an entrance exam, which means you need a certain level of academic ability to get in to start with. And even if they don’t have an entrance exam, they charge fees, which means that your parents probably care enough about your education to be willing to pay for it. They’re probably the same type who encourage you to study hard at home, and provide an ideal environment in which to do it. Going to that school is a symptom of your ability rather than the cause of it.

Secondly, by being selective they’re surrounding you with other people who are highly academic, or whose parents are highly successful. It creates a bubble in which your perception of “normal” academic achievement is much higher. At a private school, getting into a Russell Group university doesn’t seem so special when even the least capable kids in your class are doing it. Whereas at a state school, you might have to be well above average to even consider going to university at all. Thus, going to a private school gives you more motivation to achieve your best.

It has very little to do with “the education being better” at private schools. The education is pretty much the same, because the GCSE/A-Level curriculum is the same. Besides, for most subjects you can easily get top grades just by buying a textbook and learning the material yourself, without needing a teacher.

Academic success requires a a combination of intelligence and hard work; there is no substitute for that. All a private school does is selects people who have these abilities already and then gives you a reason to use them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads