Turn on thread page Beta

how embarrasing is this? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.corpun.com/lrs00111.htm

someone posted this on another forum (thought id transfer it to the more 'intellectual' forum people debate stuff better here)

i don't understand the african folk the girl got suspended so what the hell is the point in hitting her, shes gonna be let back in :confused:
    its tight but why the hell is she letting him

africans annoy me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)

someone posted this on another forum (thought id transfer it to the more 'intellectual' forum people debate stuff better here)

i don't understand the african folk the girl got suspended so what the hell is the point in hitting her, shes gonna be let back in :confused:
    its tight but why the hell is she letting him

africans annoy me!
    Obviously, one should base their opinions about an entire continent of 690,000,000 people based on the acts of an individual! Depending on whether you read the article in detail, you would've picked up on the fact corporal punishment isn't favoured in Liberia - so in context is even more unusual.

The motives of the beating were a little more sophisticated than punishing the girl. According to this, it was entirely orchestrated as political propaganda.

Last week, President Taylor put his daughter on the front pages of the international press in an effort to portray himself as a former teacher, father and president who is a disciplinarian - by flogging the 13-year old girl, Edena, in front of her eighth grade classmates at the J. J. Roberts United Methodist school in Sinkor. Taylor made her to lie flat on a table and administered ten lashes to her "backside".

State hired pens (reporters) were on hand to document every move the president made. They immediately syndicated the photos of the president "abusing" his daughter to media houses in Monrovia in a public relations ploy to project Mr. Taylor as a president who believes in discipline.

ReputationRep:
    africans annoy me!
    does that include you, because if you didnt know the earliest traces of man go back to africa, so in that sense, all humans are africans, including YOU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perplexed)
    Obviously, one should base their opinions about an entire continent of 690,000,000 people based on the acts of an individual! Depending on whether you read the article in detail, you would've picked up on the fact corporal punishment isn't favoured in Liberia - so in context is even more unusual.

The motives of the beating were a little more sophisticated than punishing the girl. According to this, it was entirely orchestrated as political propaganda.
    ok i was wrong to generalise, but what right has he to hit his daughter just to get a point across to the population :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swishmasta)
    does that include you, because if you didnt know the earliest traces of man go back to africa, so in that sense, all humans are africans, including YOU.
    i said it out of anger my point is i think its appauling that he hit his daughter like that for no other reason but to get a point across to the population

ReputationRep:
    i said it out of anger my point is i think its appauling that he hit his daughter like that for no other reason but to get a point across to the population
    understandable. that kind of punishment is terrible but you have to understand the difference in culture.

ReputationRep:
    ok i was wrong to generalise, but what right has he to hit his daughter just to get a point across to the population :confused:
    she was stupid for letting him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swishmasta)
    understandable. that kind of punishment is terrible but you have to understand the difference in culture.
    it wasn't to punish her just to get a message across :confused:

ReputationRep:
    it wasn't to punish her just to get a message across :confused:
    what i meant was that in africa, this kind of punishment is normal. i was born in africa and lived there for 12 years, punishment like this at schools happened everyday, and it was there for discipline. perhaps some of the teachers abused their powers but getting whupped was done for the pure reason of discipline. if you went to an african secondary school and saw how the kids behaved there compared to how kids are behaved here in school, you would see the difference.
    right i believe theres less corporal punishment but a majority of schools still carry it out.

ReputationRep:
    Shows how backward some parts of Africa are.

ReputationRep:
    Shows how backward some parts of Africa are.
    How can you decide what backward is? Can you be certain that your way is the wat "forward"? Look at those children in the Western world bringing guns to school, and killing classmates and teachers, is this the product of forwardly discipline? Have you heard of these kind of events in Asia or Africa?

Africa is backward alright, but that's because European exploited tham before.
    Oh, let me rimind you that the leader of the most important international orginization, UN is African.

ReputationRep:
    Some people believe in caning in schools. I know that there are some people who believe it should be brought back to this country.

At the end of the day this is her father administering the punishment and chances are she'll never do it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valerio)
    How can you decide what backward is? Can you be certain that your way is the wat "forward"? Look at those children in the Western world bringing guns to school, and killing classmates and teachers, is this the product of forwardly discipline? Have you heard of these kind of events in Asia or Africa?

Oh, let me rimind you that the leader of the most important international orginization, UN is African.
    but there was no need for that african president dude to hit her!! she got suspended but hitting her isn't gonna get her unsuspended!

ReputationRep:
    are you disagreeing or agreeing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    At least he's showing himself to be unbiased. At least his pupils are seemingly treated equally.

I'm all for the cane.
    did you see what she got it for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    did you see what she got it for?
    Inproper behaviour on the grounds with a boy.

Its a strict country so its no wonder really.

ReputationRep:
    look at it this way...

do you think shes going to make the same mistake again? no.

ReputationRep:
    Good. Discipline in schools in this country is an absolute shambles. If we still had corporal punishment, it would be a lot better, and the crime rate would be a lot lower. Caning is a lot more effective than giving someone a mini-holiday from school, which is effectively what suspension is, not to mention how embarrassing it would be to have that happen in front of your entire class. She'll think twice before she does it again.

Edit: I don't think 'indecent activity with a boy' is that big a deal, but I do agree with corporal punishment for students who break the rules, and that's what she did. She knew it was wrong and she did it anyway, so she should be made to face the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, although where guns in European classrooms often mean a criminal offence and explusion, gun toting African schoolchildren are usually defending their lives. Many Asian and African children face rape, prositution and disease on a daily basis, Id say there were sufficient grounds to suggest that Western society is more progressive.

So Africa is backward then, "How can you decide what backward is?"

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Valerio

are you disagreeing or agreeing?
    I am agreeing with the fact that Africa may seem backwrads.
    But that only because we are judging by our standards.
    Besides, we can see that they have the potential to achive no less than we do.
    I was also trying to point out that Europeans were actually the root of these problems,
    by exploiting thier resources and neglecting thier infastucture and basic necceseties during Europen rule.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.