The Student Room Group

im so stressed from exams

I have an english lit and business mock tomorrow and i havent done any revision and im under so much stress bc i know im going to fail when i know im capable of something better, Its just overwhelming how even if I try to revise I just cant. And theres no way i can write a 30 marker 24 marker and 8 marker in only 1 hour 25 minutes.
If it's GCSE I say the best way to cram English lit is to use flashcards for quotes in the topics you study, e.g Macbeth, Inspector calls, etc. Then on the back of the flashcard analyse the quote. Then watch youtube videos on structuring an English Lit paper. If it's A-Level English Lit then good luck and should've revised earlier :P
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mohamed Idris
If it's GCSE I say the best way to cram English lit is to use flashcards for quotes in the topics you study, e.g Macbeth, Inspector calls, etc. Then on the back of the flashcard analyse the quote. Then watch youtube videos on structuring an English Lit paper. If it's A-Level English Lit then good luck and should've revised earlier :P

It's gcse and its on poetry - im fr dedddddddddddddddddddddddd, like in my last mock i didnt even finish the essay question (the mock was 1 question and i didnt finish it) now i have to finish three? I get how to structure essays but its just the content im gonna flop
Reply 3
For starters learn thoroughly at least 3 poems from your anthology and analyse them, know them inside out and memorise them if required. In the paper I had, we had to compare it with an unseen poem so make sure you're familiar with breaking down unseen poems bc it can be daunting at first. The first step is to notice similarities and differences between the two in terms of language techniques and structure as well as context ofc. PECTAL paragraphs are your best friend, point, evidence, comparison, technique, analysis and LINK. These are really important, I'm not sure how exactly it works with your exam board but that's how it was for me. For the question where you have to analyse one from your anthology memorise and learn one which can be applicable to lots of scenarios, one that's flexible for any type of question...

Hope that helps, good luck and stay revising!
Original post by INeedHelp543
It's gcse and its on poetry - im fr dedddddddddddddddddddddddd, like in my last mock i didnt even finish the essay question (the mock was 1 question and i didnt finish it) now i have to finish three? I get how to structure essays but its just the content im gonna flop

If it's seen poetry, do you have the AQA poetry book? If you do, just write down the notes from each poem on the flashcard as its summarised pretty well. Like I was saying things like both poems show some sort of crazy rhyme schemes without even knowing what the rhyme scheme means and I ended up getting a 7 in that mock which wasn't too bad.

(I know it's a pretty simple method but it worked for me :P)
Reply 5
I think I did AQA and no you never have the anthology, but I did my GCSES over a year ago now and got an 8 :smile: A 7 is good! Yeah with english, especially literature you can kinda make stuff up as long as you can justify it and say why the writer would've done the and the effect on the reader.. talking about rhyme schemes is good in terms of structure but for language techniques, there's SO much you can talk about ie, metaphors, similes, personification, sibilance, emotive language, the list goes on :smile:
you should drink herbal tea
Original post by Anisarez
I think I did AQA and no you never have the anthology, but I did my GCSES over a year ago now and got an 8 :smile: A 7 is good! Yeah with english, especially literature you can kinda make stuff up as long as you can justify it and say why the writer would've done the and the effect on the reader.. talking about rhyme schemes is good in terms of structure but for language techniques, there's SO much you can talk about ie, metaphors, similes, personification, sibilance, emotive language, the list goes on :smile:

Good job on your 8! :smile: and also I meant if the OP has the anthology with her in her possession not if she can use it in her exam 😅

Quick Reply

Latest