emileigh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

I am hoping to start a Social Work degree next September, I was set on attending MMU as I live near to Manchester . However, I had an interview for UCLan today as a back up choice and really liked the sound of the place, looking at the league tables they seem pretty good for social work. This has really thrown a spanner in the works.

Im a mature learner (Im 25) and have a busy family life therefore I'm not really fussed about the night life or the social aspect of the course, i'll be staying at home and working part time. I just really want a good learning experience and am willing to travel a little further if it means a better education. Ive opted for the burnley campus, just based on the travel times, I'm not sure whether this was the right option?

Does anyone have any advice or experience of either universities for social work?
Its really difficult as obviously I can't go and look around due to the current situation so I'm hoping someone has some first hand advice.
Thanks in advance, any comments welcome.
Last edited by emileigh; 1 month ago
That_SoundGirl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emileigh)
Hi

I am hoping to start a Social Work degree next September, I was set on attending MMU as I live near to Manchester . However, I had an interview for UCLan today as a back up choice and really liked the sound of the place, looking at the league tables they seem pretty good for social work. This has really thrown a spanner in the works.

Im a mature learner (Im 25) and have a busy family life therefore I'm not really fussed about the night life or the social aspect of the course, i'll be staying at home and working part time. I just really want a good learning experience and am willing to travel a little further if it means a better education. Ive opted for the burnley campus, just based on the travel times, I'm not sure whether this was the right option?

Does anyone have any advice or experience of either universities for social work?
Its really difficult as obviously I can't go and look around due to the current situation so I'm hoping someone has some first hand advice.
I'd definitely say look on the Student forums for the specific university on Facebook and instagram, you will get honest opinions from current and previous students. Especially during this current climate it's really important to feel your able to talk to people. The tutors will sell you the school but the students will give you reality. I hope this helps x
emileigh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by That_SoundGirl)
I'd definitely say look on the Student forums for the specific university on Facebook and instagram, you will get honest opinions from current and previous students. Especially during this current climate it's really important to feel your able to talk to people. The tutors will sell you the school but the students will give you reality. I hope this helps x
This really helps, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
I agree its such a strange time, I feel quite lost and I really don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it for the next three years! I'll have a look this evening and try to get some more information.
Thanks x
That_SoundGirl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This really helps, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
I agree its such a strange time, I feel quite lost and I really don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it for the next three years! I'll have a look this evening and try to get some more information.
Thanks x
Anytime I spoke to a lot of current students before I accepted x
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

Hi emileigh
I'm glad you enjoyed your interview at UCLan, our social work courses are currently 4th on the league table with 85.9% of students satisfied with their course and 82.2% satisfied with teaching. :smartass:
One of our current Social Work students, Tia would be more than happy to answer any questions about the course: Ask a Student
Also, you can take a look at our campuses in more detail here.

Let me know if I can help with anything else and good luck with your future studies!
All the best,
Catherine
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

Hi emileigh :hello:

We're glad to hear your interest in Manchester Metropolitan University. I would recommend you to do some in-depth research into both universities before making a choice. I would suggest attending our Health and Education Virtual Open Day tomorrow, it is a great opportunity to find out more about the course, facilities and student accommodation. We will have live chats with tutors, current students and other staff members, it is a great chance to get different prospectives about the course.

In the meantime, you can have a look at our facilities, classrooms and learning spaces online in a 360 degree view. You might also want to take a look at our virtual campus tour.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes
Jess
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (11)
18.33%
No one else does (22)
36.67%
I'm embarrassed about my background (8)
13.33%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (15)
25%
We don't use a video platform (2)
3.33%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed