always-confused
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I desperately need some advice here.

I'm applying to Nottingham and Surrey to study dietetics this year. I will have the grades to meet the entry requirements (albeit not very impressive ones) but, because competition is so fierce, I might not be able to get a place. Still going to try!

Anyway, if I don't get in, my backup option is to study Bsc Nutrition at Nottingham instead. Then, potentially, I could study post-grad dietetics. I love the university and really want to be able to study there. :-(

Do you think this is a bad idea? Another option would be to study dietetics somewhere else, probably at a polytechnic. Studying at somewhere poorly ranked makes me nervous though. What will the quality of the teaching be like? Hm.

What's my best course of action here guys? I would really appreciate some help
Incidentaloma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you want to be a registered dietician? If yes, you need to do a course that leads to HCPC accreditation. It doesn't matter if it's a post-1992 university/former poly. The HCPC would remove accreditation if teaching was subpar. That is your guarantee of quality, not rankings, which are determined by many factors that are irrelevant to someone doing a professionally accredited vocational degree.
always-confused
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Incidentaloma)
Do you want to be a registered dietician? If yes, you need to do a course that leads to HCPC accreditation. It doesn't matter if it's a post-1992 university/former poly. The HCPC would remove accreditation if teaching was subpar. That is your guarantee of quality, not rankings, which are determined by many factors that are irrelevant to someone doing a professionally accredited vocational degree.
Yeah, I guess it's more of a worry about the overall picture I guess. Will there be adequate student support services? What will student life be like?

It also matters to me what my student experience is like, you know? I don't know. I wish there were more universities that offered dietetics.
ncbt
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I attended the interview for dietetics at Nottingham last year and didn't pass, but they offered a conditional offer for the three year nutrition degree instead. Surprisingly enough I then passed the kcl interview haha, so it just largely depends on how well you do in that few minutes. Oh the undergrad dietetics program at KCL just got cut this year, don't know why and they wouldn't tell. If I get it right, the nutrition department at Nottingham is not at the main campus, so just be informed. By the way you get a masters degree after attending the four year dietetics at Nottingham which is pretty cool.(although its not a MSc)
Surrey is not a bad choice, and the department is at the main campus. I also think that they very much value the subject at Surrey.
Maybe you've already got some UCAS feedback by now.
Blenheim257
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hello!
I graduated with a degree in Nutrition and Food Science from Reading and I am now looking at applying to Dietetics masters, so maybe I can help a bit. When I was first applying to undergrad degrees, I applied to KCL, Surrey and Nottingham for dietetics and then Reading and Leeds for Nutrition. I made the decision to study Nutrition as I didn't know if I wanted to be a dietitian 100% and so I thought doing Nutrition and working in the industry on a placement year would help me decide. I am currently working in the NHS and doing my undergrad degree has really helped certify that I want to be a dietitian! But at the same time, I'm glad I didn't do my undergrad in Dietetics because it gave me time to know where I wanted to go in life.

Can I ask, what about Nottingham do you like? The fact it was a campus in the middle of a village really put me off. If I could choose now I would probably go and study dietetics at Newcastle Uni as they have recently started offering it
Blenheim257
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ncbt)
I attended the interview for dietetics at Nottingham last year and didn't pass, but they offered a conditional offer for the three year nutrition degree instead. Surprisingly enough I then passed the kcl interview haha, so it just largely depends on how well you do in that few minutes. Oh the undergrad dietetics program at KCL just got cut this year, don't know why and they wouldn't tell. If I get it right, the nutrition department at Nottingham is not at the main campus, so just be informed. By the way you get a masters degree after attending the four year dietetics at Nottingham which is pretty cool.(although its not a MSc)
Surrey is not a bad choice, and the department is at the main campus. I also think that they very much value the subject at Surrey.
Maybe you've already got some UCAS feedback by now.
Hey, are you currently doing the Dietetics BSc at KCL? I'm so confused about why they have cut the undergrad course this year but are still running the postgrad one. Do you have any info on what happened?
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by always-confused)
Hi, I desperately need some advice here.

I'm applying to Nottingham and Surrey to study dietetics this year. I will have the grades to meet the entry requirements (albeit not very impressive ones) but, because competition is so fierce, I might not be able to get a place. Still going to try!

Anyway, if I don't get in, my backup option is to study Bsc Nutrition at Nottingham instead. Then, potentially, I could study post-grad dietetics. I love the university and really want to be able to study there. :-(

Do you think this is a bad idea? Another option would be to study dietetics somewhere else, probably at a polytechnic. Studying at somewhere poorly ranked makes me nervous though. What will the quality of the teaching be like? Hm.

What's my best course of action here guys? I would really appreciate some help
Hi always-confused,

Thank you for your message.

Following on from everyone else is saying, it doesn't matter which university you choose as long as the course you're looking for is accreditated in line with the HCPC standards. This means the course is guaranteed to teach you the necessary requirements for you to qualify as a Dietitian - just the same when you study other healthcare courses like Medicine. The ranking is not really relevant unless you're looking at the university as a whole.

In terms of looking for the university that you want, it would be best to speak to admissions or current students to give you insight into the course and what kind of student support there is. You may be able to find information on the university website, however, I suggest speaking to someone there, or contact to inquire about what kind of student support is available. Due to the pandemic, everything is a bit difficult and there may be a delay in responses, however, it's best to do the best you can to find out what you want to make a decision that's right for you.

It's definitely not a bad idea and both options are viable. You never know what might happen in the summer, and it may be that you get into the university you want. With some luck, you may get in if you miss a grade, who knows. If not, then studying Nutrition will benefit you as it will lay the foundations for you to study Dietetics at MSc. Either way, you'll get to your destination eventually.

I'm a current Dietetic student studying at Coventry University, so if you have any questions regarding the course or anything feel free to ask

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (275)
56.35%
I don't have everything I need (213)
43.65%

Watched Threads