Crucial things for getting accepted at Oxbridge

Watch
snailfrolic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

What is important when it comes to getting accepted at Oxbridge? For example, how much do grades matter? Is a GPA of 4.8/5 good enough?

Also, I personally had a final grade 4/5 in my sophomore year in one of the math classes, the field I want to study. However, nowadays I know all that stuff. So, do you people think that they would definitely reject me due to that? How much such things matter? And how can one nullify them? For example, if I win an IMO silver this year, will it be enough to nullify it?
Last edited by snailfrolic; 1 month ago
Joseph Green
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To get into oxbridge you'll need to convert the required grades of your desired course into your own education system, although the website with the course listings may provide clarifications on what it means in different countries. This only applies really to graduation year grades, e.g. Senior year or A-level year.

As an example, you may need A*A*A at alevel or equivalent and a minimum of a 4 in English and maths at gcse or equivalent.

Secondly there is more to the application than just a grade result, especially for maths you will need to do a seperate test called the MAT or Maths aptitude test. If you do well enough you'll be invited into an interview and if you get past that you'll be offered a place. After that, all that matters is meeting the minimum grade requirements.

Lastly, I don't think awards like the IMO have any impact on results since they don't count as qualifications but don't quote me on that
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joseph Green)
Secondly there is more to the application than just a grade result, especially for maths you will need to do a seperate test called the MAT or Maths aptitude test. If you do well enough you'll be invited into an interview and if you get past that you'll be offered a place. After that, all that matters is meeting the minimum grade requirements.
You will only have to sit the MAT if you are thinking of studying at Oxford. Cambridge uses STEP II and III.

(Original post by Joseph Green)
I don't think awards like the IMO have any impact on results since they don't count as qualifications but don't quote me on that
An IMO medal is an absolutely huge achievement. It's the best super-curricular you could have, and you may even be known by some of the professors. It certainly has an impact, and you would practically ace any entrance exam if you were able to get a medal on the international stage.
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 month ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by snailfrolic)
What is important when it comes to getting accepted at Oxbridge? For example, how much do grades matter? Is a GPA of 4.8/5 good enough?
Academic ability and potential.

Which subject(s) are you wanting to read? Which country are you applying from?

For Oxford, and I suspect Cambridge, your GPA is utterly irrelevant (US applicants). Qualifications-wise, all that matters is SAT / ACT and AP / SAT subject test results (including ones to be taken in the year of admission). They don't even ask for your High School transcript. Admissions tests are probably the most important academic differentiator.

After academics, your may have extra curricular activities that are directly relevant to your chosen subject, but they are nowhere near as important as your academic ability (for almost all subjects).
Last edited by RogerOxon; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads