To apply to defer or ask to defer after gaining offers??

Watch
Runswick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My daughter is unsure if she wants a Gap year and hence whether to put in a UCAS application for deferred entry.

Her predicted grades are BBB but her 2 aspirational choices require AAB and ABB and she’s been told they may give her an offer of these grades. She may end up achieving higher grades than her predictions. However, if she ends up getting BBB do you think it would be easier to wrangle a place on one of these courses if she had applied to go straight to uni rather than negotiating a place for the following year? Or do they treat a 2021 application on a par with a 2022 application?

Also, how accommodating are universities to a request to defer starting the course once offers have been made or after results are achieved and places gained?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Runswick)
My daughter is unsure if she wants a Gap year and hence whether to put in a UCAS application for deferred entry.

Her predicted grades are BBB but her 2 aspirational choices require AAB and ABB and she’s been told they may give her an offer of these grades. She may end up achieving higher grades than her predictions. However, if she ends up getting BBB do you think it would be easier to wrangle a place on one of these courses if she had applied to go straight to uni rather than negotiating a place for the following year? Or do they treat a 2021 application on a par with a 2022 application?

Also, how accommodating are universities to a request to defer starting the course once offers have been made or after results are achieved and places gained?

Generally speaking it is easier to apply for the forthcoming academic year and then ask to defer, rather than apply for deferred entry and then ask to switch to the current year. In either case, the earlier you ask, the more likely the Uni will to be able to accommodate the change.

It won’t make any difference whether your daughter is applying for deferred entry as to whether she is accepted if she misses her offer. Uni’s get the results slightly ahead of students and there will almost certainly be a decision for her on UCAS Track on results day, (so she won’t have to call up to negotiate). Uni’s treat current/deferred students the same and make all their decisions in the same way.

I think there is a good chance that courses asking for AAB / ABB will ultimately accept at least one grade lower, but no one can say for sure as it depends on how many spaces they have and the results of other offer holders.
Kemi.B
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

If she defers, she'll still need to meet the academic conditions of her uni choices that she is applying to THIS year. By this I mean she'll still need to aim to get AAB/ABB even if she choices to defer. Entry requirements are set for each academic year and cycle, if she applies in 2020 she will still need to meet 2020 requirements.

It's important to note that not all uni's offer deferrals, it is unique amongst them, so she definitely should check first before applying. As the process may differ among them, they may each advise the applicant differently on when is the best and/or last time to defer an application. She needs to speak with them directly to discuss, preferably before submission.
Runswick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for your replies. Maybe we should give the relevant universities a ring to check their deferral policies.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your replies. Maybe we should give the relevant universities a ring to check their deferral policies.
Yes, that's probably the best way forward. In my experience, all but the most competitive courses will grant deferral requests, but each uni will be able to advise their policy as well as if there is any deadline date for the request.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (280)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (215)
43.43%

Watched Threads