Isn’t it unhealthy to lost 15 kgs in a month?

Watch
JeeGee
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When I started to lose weight I was around 115 kg and after a month I have lost 15 kg. My goal was to lose 5 kg per month as I’m really heavy. I wasn’t trying to lose weight so drastically. I just did portion control and cut out crisps and soda from my diet. I’m sticking to it very well. I also have been doing some home workout following some YouTube channels. I’m just so surprised that I have lost so much but I’m worried that this might be unhealthy.
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JeeGee)
When I started to lose weight I was around 115 kg and after a month I have lost 15 kg. My goal was to lose 5 kg per month as I’m really heavy. I wasn’t trying to lose weight so drastically. I just did portion control and cut out crisps and soda from my diet. I’m sticking to it very well. I also have been doing some home workout following some YouTube channels. I’m just so surprised that I have lost so much but I’m worried that this might be unhealthy.
Quite a lot of it could be water weight and muscle. Make sure you're eating enough protein and drinking enough water. Perhaps see your GP for advice. Losing weight fast can cause lose skin so your doctor may be able to advise on what is the optimum weight loss per month for you
honeymoontea
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As long as you’re eating enough meals and still trying to eat healthily, rest enough and not straining yourself I can’t see how it’s too much of a bad thing
Especially if you’re being consistent with your workouts etc you’ll see changes, plus weight can fluctuate and you might lose/gain more at different times
I’m not a doctor or anything like that so I wouldn’t know medically, just be careful about losing it too quickly all at once
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a bit too fast for my liking. 5kg per month was a much more sensible goal
kates4745
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is a lot yes but your initial weight was a lot as well so I believe is ok for now but still do not over do it and don't focus on the results but on the process
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes it is unhealthy
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that’s a lot ngl
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In theory, yes. Practically speaking, it depends on the context. If a morbidly obese person lost 15kg in a month, it'd be very beneficial to them. For the average person losing 15kg a month is too detrimental.
lunarzephyr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't be too worried! When you start at an 'overweight' weight it becomes quite easy to lose weight initially but then plateaus off later on. Good luck for your journey!
Kalaygalay5
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kates4745)
It is a lot yes but your initial weight was a lot as well so I believe is ok for now but still do not over do it and don't focus on the results but on the process
Yes basically the heavier you weigh as in the more fat you have, the more changes you will see and at a faster rate than those with less fat than you (bc you have more to lose). At the same time anyone who is a beginner with working out will see really quick changes even by doing minimal workouts than those who have been working out for a while (like a number of years). Lastly, once you go into a steady caloric deficit after being in a big surplus for some time, you'll experience very clear changes. Everyone's bodies are different - as long as you're nourishing your body adequately with nutritious foods, not starving yourself, and doing everything in moderation + most importantly, that you're enjoying what you're doing, then you are good.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It can be.
Particularly if it involves a drastic reduction in food intake, weight loss tablets or suddenly doing intensive daily exercise workouts.
But one of the vulnerable hate crime survivors I support managed to lose 23kg during her first three weeks.

After the initial significant weight loss, levels tends to reach a plateau and slow down a lot after a few months.
Then to continue losing weight at desired levels, there have to be some changes made to both workout systems and diet.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you didn't do anything daft like starvation or sacrifice a limb, it probably wasn't "unhealthy" (and probably included lots of water etc.). But usually losing that much weight in that time period would be very, very difficult to achieve via normal or recommended means.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (60)
17.44%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (96)
27.91%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (132)
38.37%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (45)
13.08%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.2%

Watched Threads