shapeyness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in my third year of a four year degree at the moment. However, all the close friends that I made in halls who I've lived with this year and last year will be finishing this year because they only had three year degrees. I'm a little worried because I don't have any accommodation sorted for next academic year and I'm really not sure what to do - in all my other years I had accommodation sorted out by November. I'm pretty shy and would feel really awkward finding a spare room with housemates that are complete strangers but on the other hand I'm not sure whether I should live in private halls or not for my last year. Does anyone have any advice or similar situations you went through and how you solved it?
Last edited by shapeyness; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shapeyness)
I'm in my third year of a four year degree at the moment. However, all the close friends that I made in halls who I've lived with this year and last year will be finishing this year because they only had three year degrees. I'm a little worried because I don't have any accommodation sorted for next academic year and I'm really not sure what to do - in all my other years I had accommodation sorted out by November. I'm pretty shy and would feel really awkward finding a spare room with housemates that are complete strangers but on the other hand I'm not sure whether I should live in private halls or not for my last year. Does anyone have any advice or similar situations you went through and how you solved it?
Just go through the options and make an informed choice.
Home.
Existing houseshare.
Try and start new houseshare
Hall private.
Hall Uni
Studio
Postgrad house.

It varies on price and accommodation availability. You should know yourself by now.
Dont panic yourself into accommodation just make sure you have the money.
So many threads of people who sign up too soon and they are bound.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shapeyness)
Hey shapeyness!

A lot of students may be in a similar situation to you, or they may have gone on a placement year and come back to uni with no one to live with.
First of all don't worry about it too much yet as you have at least 9 months to sort out somewhere to live

You could either join a facebook group for student accommodation at your uni and see if anyone else is in the same situation as you and wants to find a house with you, or you could look to see if anyone is looking for anyone to fill a room for next year. (Finding a new house with new people would proabably be less awkward as no one would already know each other) But even if you do fill a room in another house you can facetime the people and see if you would get on with them before you decide if you want to live there!

Alternatively you could go for private halls/ a studio - but this may be more expensive so is something to bare in mind!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
shapeyness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just go through the options and make an informed choice.
Home.
Existing houseshare.
Try and start new houseshare
Hall private.
Hall Uni
Studio
Postgrad house.

It varies on price and accommodation availability. You should know yourself by now.
Dont panic yourself into accommodation just make sure you have the money.
So many threads of people who sign up too soon and they are
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey shapeyness!

A lot of students may be in a similar situation to you, or they may have gone on a placement year and come back to uni with no one to live with.
First of all don't worry about it too much yet as you have at least 9 months to sort out somewhere to live

You could either join a facebook group for student accommodation at your uni and see if anyone else is in the same situation as you and wants to find a house with you, or you could look to see if anyone is looking for anyone to fill a room for next year. (Finding a new house with new people would proabably be less awkward as no one would already know each other) But even if you do fill a room in another house you can facetime the people and see if you would get on with them before you decide if you want to live there!

Alternatively you could go for private halls/ a studio - but this may be more expensive so is something to bare in mind!

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
The Facebook group idea is something I hadn't thought of but seems kind of obvious now I think about it. Thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (385)
56.78%
I don't have everything I need (293)
43.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed