vanshika20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
So, I am from India and I am aiming to study economics/business management at LSE/UCL.

My IGCSE grades were: 6A*'s and 2A's

My A level subjects are: Maths, economics, business studies, Accounting and General English. I am currently doing my AS levels.

Firstly, I wanted to know if I am doing the right subjects to study economics/management at LSE/UCL.

Secondly, I wanted to know what A level grades do I need to get in, and are my IGCSE grades good enough?

Thirdly what all can I do to make my application stronger?

Any advice/suggestion is appreciated. Thank you
idonthaveaname1223
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vanshika20)
Hi,
So, I am from India and I am aiming to study economics/business management at LSE/UCL.

My A level subjects are: Maths, economics, business studies, Accounting and General English. I am currently doing my AS levels.

Firstly, I wanted to know if I am doing the right subjects to study economics/management at LSE/UCL.

Secondly, I wanted to know what A level grades do I need to get in, and are my IGCSE grades good enough?

Hi!
You are doing the right subjects, but you can always check by going on the LSE/UCL website, finding your course and seeing the grade requirements (it will definitely be on their website because they have to share that info).
Your IGCSE grades are good enough, but even if they weren’t you cannot go back in time to change them so there’s not much you would’ve been able to do. Your IGCSE grades are pretty competitive!
LSE looks very heavily at personal statements, they give them a very big weighting in terms of your application, so I’d suggest to make sure you’re doing lots of work experience and volunteering. They also look at extracurricular activities so maybe a sport? They also like to see that you are connected to the field so maybe reading a book or an article? You can start writing your personal statement now (I’d advise against it because you should be doing work experience/ volunteering at this stage). In terms of A level grades, again don’t quote me on this, you should check both the unis websites because they have to have this info listed under grade requirements again, but LSE is notorious for saying that students need to achieve an A* in maths for most of their courses. I’m not sure if this is the case here which is why you should check. By the way, as you are doing 5 alevels, if their grade boundaries say (FOR EXAMPLE) that you need A*AA to get on the course, you need to get a minimum A in the rest of your subjects! I’d also advise on reading whether you would get extra weighting for doing more a levels, and seeing if that is still something you want to do if you’re not getting any extra weighting! Your AS year should be mainly work experience, volunteering, conferences ext about the career you want to pursue and you need to do well at your AS end of year exams in order to strengthen your application to get competitive predicted grades!
This is a bit early on; but your personal statement especially for LSE needs to be done at a high level, with a nice structure and solid English, so I’d say (nearer the time) read personal statement online. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT COPY EVEN A SENTENCE. Ucas has a feature that enables the unis to see whether or not your personal statement has been plagiarised and often students whose personal statements have been plagiarised are rejected immediately!
Good luck for your a level years! Good luck on your application!
Last edited by idonthaveaname1223; 1 month ago
vanshika20
Rep:
?
(Original post by idonthaveaname1223)
Hi!
You are doing the right subjects, but you can always check by going on the LSE/UCL website, finding your course and seeing the grade requirements (it will definitely be on their website because they have to share that info).
Your IGCSE grades are good enough, but even if they weren’t you cannot go back in time to change them so there’s not much you would’ve been able to do. Your IGCSE grades are pretty competitive!
LSE looks very heavily at personal statements, they give them a very big weighting in terms of your application, so I’d suggest to make sure you’re doing lots of work experience and volunteering. They also look at extracurricular activities so maybe a sport? They also like to see that you are connected to the field so maybe reading a book or an article? You can start writing your personal statement now (I’d advise against it because you should be doing work experience/ volunteering at this stage). In terms of A level grades, again don’t quote me on this, you should check both the unis websites because they have to have this info listed under grade requirements again, but LSE is notorious for saying that students need to achieve an A* in maths for most of their courses. I’m not sure if this is the case here which is why you should check. By the way, as you are doing 5 alevels, if their grade boundaries say (FOR EXAMPLE) that you need A*AA to get on the course, you need to get a minimum A in the rest of your subjects! I’d also advise on reading whether you would get extra weighting for doing more a levels, and seeing if that is still something you want to do if you’re not getting any extra weighting! Your AS year should be mainly work experience, volunteering, conferences ext about the career you want to pursue and you need to do well at your AS end of year exams in order to strengthen your application to get competitive predicted grades!
This is a bit early on; but your personal statement especially for LSE needs to be done at a high level, with a nice structure and solid English, so I’d say (nearer the time) read personal statement online. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT COPY EVEN A SENTENCE. Ucas has a feature that enables the unis to see whether or not your personal statement has been plagiarised and often students whose personal statements have been plagiarised are rejected immediately!
Good luck for your a level years! Good luck on your application!
Thank you so so so much for replying!! Yeah you are right, there is nothing I can do about my IGCSE scores now
So apart from the grades and academics, for my extracurriculars I have been:

a) Going to the cancer hospital every weekend for 2 hours for 5 years (it's a school initiative)
b) I am doing an internship where I write articles/mini research papers on topics related to economics/business
c) I have been volunteering at an online platform, to teach poor kids (I will be fully doing that in my summer breaks)
d) I play football/soccer and I am a state-level player
e) I have done a few online courses for economics
f) I am looking at reading a few economic books in the summer breaks and looking at doing another internship. I was also considering making a website of my own which consists of all IGCSE, AS and A level economic notes in the summer break (still unsure if this is a good idea)

I don't really know if this much is enough, or what else should I do to build my application.....
And yes, I will start focusing on my personal statement, as soon as I am done with my AS exams. Also, do you have any idea about the scholarship program? I did do a lot of research but was unable to find any scholarship that they give to an Indian undergraduate student.

Again, Thank you so so so much!!! It means a lot!
LSE
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I would strongly advise you to consult the information on LSE's website regarding subject combinations. We are generally looking for a broad mix of traditional academic subjects. Applicants taking overlapping subjects, such as business, accounting and economics may therefore be less competitive. Please also be aware that LSE considers business and accounting as non-preferred subjects. Further Maths is also preferred by our BSc Economics selectors.

Detailed information regarding A level requirements and what we're looking for in competitive candidates has been provided on the programme pages. Please refer to this information.
BSc Economics
BSc Management
idonthaveaname1223
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so so so much for replying!! Yeah you are right, there is nothing I can do about my IGCSE scores now
So apart from the grades and academics, for my extracurriculars I have been:

a) Going to the cancer hospital every weekend for 2 hours for 5 years (it's a school initiative)
b) I am doing an internship where I write articles/mini research papers on topics related to economics/business
c) I have been volunteering at an online platform, to teach poor kids (I will be fully doing that in my summer breaks)
d) I play football/soccer and I am a state-level player
e) I have done a few online courses for economics
f) I am looking at reading a few economic books in the summer breaks and looking at doing another internship. I was also considering making a website of my own which consists of all IGCSE, AS and A level economic notes in the summer break (still unsure if this is a good idea)

I don't really know if this much is enough, or what else should I do to build my application.....
And yes, I will start focusing on my personal statement, as soon as I am done with my AS exams. Also, do you have any idea about the scholarship program? I did do a lot of research but was unable to find any scholarship that they give to an Indian undergraduate student.

Again, Thank you so so so much!!! It means a lot!
Hi, an LSE rep commented underneath, be sure to check out their links!
Also, universities like well-rounded students so maybe something else that you’re passionate about? For myself (I’m in y13 from London so I have just finished my application) I spoke about the environment- I am part of a group in my school but through this I was able to meet other students, organise a conference, and even help our school become more eco-friendly through my teams initiatives. This doesn’t relate to my desired degree (I want to study medicine) but it shows the uni that there are more things that I am interested about and I’m not just someone who is academically brilliant. Unis don’t want robots so be sure to have a few more interesting extracurriculars such as playing an instrument, maybe even something IT related or even playing chess competitively?
I don’t know much about scholarship programs however, if there are any it would be mentioned on the website of the uni along with eligibility criteria so you can check if you meet any. For example, you may want to check whether international students are eligible to claim any scholarships. As far as my knowledge goes, scholarships are won through various methods- some could be writing essays whilst others are about your non-academic attributes- it does vary. However, getting a scholarship is really rare, and usually only one person will be offered a scholarship program. I do believe (for home students anyway) the eligibility criteria differs for different scholarships - some depend on financial means, others do not. Be sure to check websites!
vanshika20
Rep:
?
(Original post by idonthaveaname1223)
Hi, an LSE rep commented underneath, be sure to check out their links!
Also, universities like well-rounded students so maybe something else that you’re passionate about? For myself (I’m in y13 from London so I have just finished my application) I spoke about the environment- I am part of a group in my school but through this I was able to meet other students, organise a conference, and even help our school become more eco-friendly through my teams initiatives. This doesn’t relate to my desired degree (I want to study medicine) but it shows the uni that there are more things that I am interested about and I’m not just someone who is academically brilliant. Unis don’t want robots so be sure to have a few more interesting extracurriculars such as playing an instrument, maybe even something IT related or even playing chess competitively?
I don’t know much about scholarship programs however, if there are any it would be mentioned on the website of the uni along with eligibility criteria so you can check if you meet any. For example, you may want to check whether international students are eligible to claim any scholarships. As far as my knowledge goes, scholarships are won through various methods- some could be writing essays whilst others are about your non-academic attributes- it does vary. However, getting a scholarship is really rare, and usually only one person will be offered a scholarship program. I do believe (for home students anyway) the eligibility criteria differs for different scholarships - some depend on financial means, others do not. Be sure to check websites!
right... I'll definitely keep all of this in mind. Thank you so so so much!!
vanshika20
Rep:
?
(Original post by LSE)
I would strongly advise you to consult the information on LSE's website regarding subject combinations. We are generally looking for a broad mix of traditional academic subjects. Applicants taking overlapping subjects, such as business, accounting and economics may therefore be less competitive. Please also be aware that LSE considers business and accounting as non-preferred subjects. Further Maths is also preferred by our BSc Economics selectors.

Detailed information regarding A level requirements and what we're looking for in competitive candidates has been provided on the programme pages. Please refer to this information.
BSc Economics
BSc Management
Firstly, thank you so much for replying!
Secondly, my school does not offer Further mathematics, otherwise, I would have taken the subject. But the website says that if our school does not provide it, then we are not put at a disadvantage... is that right?

If I manage to get an A* in all my subjects...will be application still be less competitive?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
55.62%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.38%

Watched Threads