Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Sorted thanks
Last edited by Leahtaylor125; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You get 5 choices. Primary education with QTS is one of the most selective degrees to apply for so it’s a good idea to find out more about a number of universities so that you can maximise your chances of an offer for a university that you’ll like.

Get signed up to virtual open days and tours and research a broad range of universities.
Bangor Uni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Leahtaylor125)
I'm planning on studying primary education with QTS. I've fell in love with 2 universities. one is Bangor which is 96-120 UCAS points and the other is Wrexham with 96. My predicted grades from my GCSEs are 3 a level C's and 1 as C. I'm currently in year 12 and I'm already starting to achieve higher than that in my subjects. I study a level history, geography and English language plus as core maths.

should I apply to Cumbria aswell? I've had my personal statement looked over (of course it can be added to in the next year) by a get into teaching advisor and she said that it was brilliant.

Thanks,
Hi there,

It's fantastic to hear that you're thinking of coming to Bangor University to study and it seems that you're on the right track with your grades If you would like to talk to current students at Bangor you can do so through Unibuddy, the will be able to tell you their experience of applying to Bangor through UCAS.

If you have any questions about Bangor, or would like some more information, please let me know
Anna
Leahtaylor125
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bangor Uni)
Hi there,

It's fantastic to hear that you're thinking of coming to Bangor University to study and it seems that you're on the right track with your grades If you would like to talk to current students at Bangor you can do so through Unibuddy, the will be able to tell you their experience of applying to Bangor through UCAS.

If you have any questions about Bangor, or would like some more information, please let me know
Anna
thanks, Bangor is certainly my first choice
Leahtaylor125
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You get 5 choices. Primary education with QTS is one of the most selective degrees to apply for so it’s a good idea to find out more about a number of universities so that you can maximise your chances of an offer for a university that you’ll like.

Get signed up to virtual open days and tours and research a broad range of universities.
I've looked but there's only 3 that I like, I can always go through clearing if not. I'll definitely sign up to some open days. thanks so much x
Last edited by Leahtaylor125; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've looked but there's only 3 that I like, I can always go through clearing if not. I'll definitely sign up to some open days. thanks so much x
You've got a long time to research more - there's hundreds of universities and colleges in the UK so narrowing it down to 3 a year before you apply is a bit silly - especially if you're then thinking of using clearing as a backup (which will involve making last minute decisions with not much time to research the new university).

If you like Bangor and Cumbria then it's worth researching into:
Bishop Grosseteste
Chester
Chichester
Gloucestershire
Liverpool Hope
Northampton
Plymouth Marjon
Suffolk
Winchester

They're all similar sized/feel and a lot of them are former teacher training colleges that became universities so they're particularly good at teacher training degrees. They're mostly asking for 112-120 tariff points but you've got plenty of time and generally teaching courses will be more interested in your suitability for the course more than whether you meet the precise entry qualification based on predicted grades.
MinnieW09
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great news you have a good PS you're well ahead of the game!

Theres nothing wrong with having a top two unis that you really want, most do.

But you get 5 choices and unless you are 100% certain you will get into your top 2 its best to put more down. Putting 5 instead of 2 doesn't cost anything more, each uni doesn't know where else you are applying and means you'll have to chance to research and plan your other three.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you just looking at Bangor and Wrexham because you want to stay close to home. If so, it is pointless applying to somewhere like Plymouth many miles away. You could look at universities in Chester and Liverpool as they arent too far. If you are happy to travel further in Wales then University of Wales Trinity St Davids offer this course I think on their Carmarthen site. Not easy to get to from North Wales although there is a direct bus from Bangor to Aberystwyth then change there to Carmarthen. Very easy change.
Leahtaylor125
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Are you just looking at Bangor and Wrexham because you want to stay close to home. If so, it is pointless applying to somewhere like Plymouth many miles away. You could look at universities in Chester and Liverpool as they arent too far. If you are happy to travel further in Wales then University of Wales Trinity St Davids offer this course I think on their Carmarthen site. Not easy to get to from North Wales although there is a direct bus from Bangor to Aberystwyth then change there to Carmarthen. Very easy change.
we are planning on moving to North Wales, I'll definitely research them 😊
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
we are planning on moving to North Wales, I'll definitely research them 😊
Where in North Wales do you intend moving to as that might alter where you can look. PM me if you prefer.
Leahtaylor125
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Where in North Wales do you intend moving to as that might alter where you can look. PM me if you prefer.
I'll message you
Bishop Grosseteste University
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey Leahtaylor125!

So glad you're thinking of studying primary teaching at degree level It's an amazing course!

You may find our degree Primary Education interesting, we are a small university rated TEF Gold and have lots of excellent opportunities for students.

Let us know if there's anything you'd like to know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (243)
57.18%
I don't have everything I need (182)
42.82%

Watched Threads