Am I stretching my stomach?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I stuff myself every morning and pack breakfast and a drink and a snack in before 8AM.
It feels uncomfortably full but I hate going to school hungry because it’s a very long time until break.

Is my stomach permanently stretching? Do you think it’s possible for this to happen if I keep doing this every morning?
Max1989
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes your stomach does stretch, but it's not completely permanent, it essentially adapts to the volume it must acomedate, within reason of course.. Think of it as exercising those muscles, if you keep using them they'll grow but stop using them and they'll decrease.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Max1989)
Yes your stomach does stretch, but it's not completely permanent, it essentially adapts to the volume it must acomedate, within reason of course.. Think of it as exercising those muscles, if you keep using them they'll grow but stop using them and they'll decrease.
Does that mean it’s not permanent if it’s only being stretched once (in the morning?)

Will it get bigger if I keep doing that?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by j-dulas)
nah you just fat
that is not very helpful since I am actually underweight
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why don't you just eat a breakfast that will actually keep you not hungry until break, instead of just eating food to just become uncomfortably full?
Max1989
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does that mean it’s not permanent if it’s only being stretched once (in the morning?)

Will it get bigger if I keep doing that?
Depends on many factors, so the simple answer is it might, it might not, depends on you and your body. Of course the more you do it the more likely you are to stretch it, but binge eating is extremely unhealthy yet alone expensive, plus stretching your stomach will also change how the hormones signal to the brain that you are full so you might feel full for a while but you'll eventually have to eat more and more until you stomach reaches maximum capacity but still not feel full.

Plus there is the time it takes for it to digest, if it's in there for longer it would be more time required for it to be stretched so it'd train it to be stretched more, carbs have generally the fastest digestion rate whereas fats have the slowest, but a healthy diet should have a wide mixture of foods to make sure you are getting all the required nutrients.

Basically instead of going down the quantity route you should try and get a quality meal beforehand, if you body gets just enough energy and nutrients it won't feel hungry.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ha you'll be fine OP, don't worry.

Although if I were you I'd have a proper breakfast. It's just healthier in general.
kokail
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not an expert or anything, but stuffing yourself and over eating over a long period of time can stretch your stomach so it'll be able to compensate and hold more food. Though, the stomach doesn't permanently stretch, it can go back to it's regular size- and usually does go back to it's regular size fairly quickly after digesting. So eating a lot in the morning to compensate for not being able to eat for a long period of time after that isn't going to do any harm.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think the annoying thing about school is how you aren't allow to eat when you are hungry and the break is so late that you are hungry so you can't focus. I think due to this the best option is to eat a lot before in the hopes that it keeps you full. I think you will be ok.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ramipril)
Why don't you just eat a breakfast that will actually keep you not hungry until break, instead of just eating food to just become uncomfortably full?
I eat a very filling breakfast and a glass of milk, but no matter how full up I get I am always hungry by a couple of hours before break!! It would be a lot healthier for me to space out my snacks but I just not allowed
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Max1989)
Depends on many factors, so the simple answer is it might, it might not, depends on you and your body. Of course the more you do it the more likely you are to stretch it, but binge eating is extremely unhealthy yet alone expensive, plus stretching your stomach will also change how the hormones signal to the brain that you are full so you might feel full for a while but you'll eventually have to eat more and more until you stomach reaches maximum capacity but still not feel full.

Plus there is the time it takes for it to digest, if it's in there for longer it would be more time required for it to be stretched so it'd train it to be stretched more, carbs have generally the fastest digestion rate whereas fats have the slowest, but a healthy diet should have a wide mixture of foods to make sure you are getting all the required nutrients.

Basically instead of going down the quantity route you should try and get a quality meal beforehand, if you body gets just enough energy and nutrients it won't feel hungry.
Oh no, I had better stop doing that to myself then
Thanks, that's super helpful
Anonymous #1
(Original post by kokail)
I'm not an expert or anything, but stuffing yourself and over eating over a long period of time can stretch your stomach so it'll be able to compensate and hold more food. Though, the stomach doesn't permanently stretch, it can go back to it's regular size- and usually does go back to it's regular size fairly quickly after digesting. So eating a lot in the morning to compensate for not being able to eat for a long period of time after that isn't going to do any harm.
That is a big relief, thank you for the comment
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FRS500)
Ha you'll be fine OP, don't worry.

Although if I were you I'd have a proper breakfast. It's just healthier in general.
Its weird because I do have a big breakfast and snacks too!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I think the annoying thing about school is how you aren't allow to eat when you are hungry and the break is so late that you are hungry so you can't focus. I think due to this the best option is to eat a lot before in the hopes that it keeps you full. I think you will be ok.
Yes isn't it annoying!!! Ughh ok. Thanks
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Stretching your stomach is a myth.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...hrink#appetite
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Stretching your stomach is a myth.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...hrink#appetite
OH so its only the feeling like its being stretched? Oh great! Thanksss
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes isn't it annoying!!! Ughh ok. Thanks
I had the same experience, school is so cruel with not allowing us to eat or go to the toilet when we want, it is ridiculous. If break is at 11 and we have breakfast at 7 that is 4 hours without eating or even more if you have breakfast even earlier. Porridge is a good breakfast idea as it is quite filling, put a whole banana in there too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
I had the same experience, school is so cruel with not allowing us to eat or go to the toilet when we want, it is ridiculous. If break is at 11 and we have breakfast at 7 that is 4 hours without eating or even more if you have breakfast even earlier. Porridge is a good breakfast idea as it is quite filling, put a whole banana in there too.
What about if I eat breakfast at 6 and break is at 11.30?? That's 5h 30 mins with no food!
But I get full up quickly but also hungry quickly...

Ugh I have had to sit in English lit so many times with a growling stomach, its so embarrassing! Thanks for the advice
kates4745
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I stuff myself every morning and pack breakfast and a drink and a snack in before 8AM.
It feels uncomfortably full but I hate going to school hungry because it’s a very long time until break.

Is my stomach permanently stretching? Do you think it’s possible for this to happen if I keep doing this every morning?
being uncomfortably full is not good.we should just the amount we need at a time. have some dry fruits and nuts in case u get hungry during the day
Anonymous1502
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about if I eat breakfast at 6 and break is at 11.30?? That's 5h 30 mins with no food!
But I get full up quickly but also hungry quickly...

Ugh I have had to sit in English lit so many times with a growling stomach, its so embarrassing! Thanks for the advice
5 hours 30 without eating is a really long time, how do they expect us to focus on our work, would it really hurt them if we could have a quick snack?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (249)
57.37%
I don't have everything I need (185)
42.63%

Watched Threads