Is accounting and finance a good degree?

Watch
alg.xx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is accounting and finance a respectable degree? How does it compare to prestigious courses such as medicine or dentistry?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alg.xx)
Is accounting and finance a respectable degree? How does it compare to prestigious courses such as medicine or dentistry?
It's a perfectly decent degree with a lot of potential professionally. They are all good degrees, but none of them are likely to lead to successful careers if you are doing them so your parents can brag about you. They all require a continuing lifetime of commitment and enjoyment of the environment and subject matter.
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It's a perfectly decent degree with a lot of potential professionally. They are all good degrees, but none of them are likely to lead to successful careers if you are doing them so your parents can brag about you. They all require a continuing lifetime of commitment and enjoyment of the environment and subject matter.
So if you say you got a degree in accounting and finance, will it be as respected as saying ‘I completed a medical course’ ?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So if you say you got a degree in accounting and finance, will it be as respected as saying ‘I completed a medical course’ ?
It's a nonsense question. You can't live your life based on the perceived prestige others hold in your degree. People have all sorts of judgements about all sorts of things, for good and bad reasons. Do you want to be a failed Doctor or a successful accountant? You realise that your parents are going to die one day and then no-one cares about your degree, right?
alg.xx
Rep:
?
It's a nonsense question. You can't live your life based on the perceived prestige others hold in your degree. People have all sorts of judgements about all sorts of things, for good and bad reasons. Do you want to be a failed Doctor or a successful accountant? You realise that your parents are going to die one day and then no-one cares about your degree, right?
First of all, who told you my parents want me to become a doctor? Second of all, I’m not living my life based on the perceived prestige of others. I’m just wondering what degrees give you the best jobs and what degrees are superior to each other. That’s a perfectly valid question
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all, who told you my parents want me to become a doctor? Second of all, I’m not living my life based on the perceived prestige of others. I’m just wondering what degrees give you the best jobs and what degrees are superior to each other. That’s a perfectly valid question
No it's not, it's an idiotic question. What is 'the best job'? Define it. Is it the job that generates the best income (Premier League Footballer, successful entrepreneur, hollywood actor), or the one that makes you happiest (nurse, teacher, potter, artist ...)?

Oh look, Doctor, Dentist and Accountant aren't on any of those lists. You aren't even going to make it through the training of those jobs if you aren't committed, and you certainly aren't going to hold down a successful career if it isn't what you want to do. So what anyone else externally perceives as 'good' or 'prestigious' or 'superior' is nonsense that lasts for a few conversations for about a year after graduation. Even the 'which university is better' question holds more validity.
alg.xx
Rep:
?
No it's not, it's an idiotic question. What is 'the best job'? Define it. Is it the job that generates the best income (Premier League Footballer, successful entrepreneur, hollywood actor), or the one that makes you happiest (nurse, teacher, potter, artist ...)?

Oh look, Doctor, Dentist and Accountant aren't on any of those lists. You aren't even going to make it through the training of those jobs if you aren't committed, and you certainly aren't going to hold down a successful career if it isn't what you want to do. So what anyone else externally perceives as 'good' or 'prestigious' or 'superior' is nonsense that lasts for a few conversations for about a year after graduation. Even the 'which university is better' question holds more validity.
The question ‘which is the best job?’ is essentially the same as the question ‘which university is the best?’ . Both questions can be answered as long as you know what your criteria is. Wanting to know which job will give you more respect or money is not a complete deciding factor but it plays an imperative role in deciding whether the job is the best fit for me. Wanting to find out the perceived prestige of a career is the complete opposite of idiotic as it pertains to the salary you might be rewarded with and that’s an incentive for ‘commitment’. If you’re too myopic to understand this or have a problem with the question, I suggest you move aside and let more competent people answer my queries. This has nothing to do with commitment as for me at least, commitment comes with an incentive and if I know that job is going to give me a good future, then that generates enough commitment for me to get through the course. I obviously won’t be picking a course I absolutely HATE but other factors come into play. That’s all.
alg.xx
Rep:
?

Oh and defining ‘the best job’ is completely subjective. Gathering information on the potential careers I might want to go into is the initial step in deciding what job is best for me. Perceived prestige is just 1 small factor of that and it’s why I’m asking about it. That however doesn’t mean I’m living by it : I won’t solely base my whole decision on it.
Last edited by alg.xx; 1 month ago
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh and defining ‘the best job’ is completely subjective. Gathering information on the potential careers I might want to go into is the initial step in deciding what job is best for me. Perceived prestige is just 1 small factor of that and it’s why I’m asking about it. That however doesn’t mean I’m living by it : I won’t solely base my whole decision on it.
What is your final goal Financial Analysis or Chartered Accountancy?
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThiagoBrigido)
What is your final goal Financial Analysis or Chartered Accountancy?
Chartered accountancy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (238)
56.8%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.2%

Watched Threads