Need help understanding DNA replication and link to translation & transcription

Watch
Mia 15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm having trouble connecting these processes together. Which order do they happen in? Or are they not connected at all :confused: Especially confused because semi-conservative replication and transcription are quite similar

I'm doing A-level biology, please help !
Last edited by Mia 15; 1 month ago
thisaccount
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
DNA replication is when the cell needs to replicate all of the chromosomes before the cell divides in mitosis or meiosis. This is carried out using DNA polymerase, but there are other enzymes such as helicase which breaks the hydrogen bonds between nucleotide pairs, and topoisomerase which unwinds the DNA.

Transcription and translation on the other hand are used in protein production, not in DNA production. Transcription is the process of RNA polymerase producing complementary mRNA from one of the DNA strands. This mRNA leaves the nucleus via nuclear pores, and goes to a ribosome either in the cytoplasm or on the rough endoplasmic reticulum. The ribosome translates the mRNA by matching the codons with complementary anticodons on tRNA, which carry amino acids. The ribosome reads along the mRNA, binds the correct tRNA, and catalyses peptide bonds forming between the amino acids, creating a polypeptide chain.

Basically, DNA replication is unrelated to the other two and produces DNA, while transcription and translation produce proteins/polypeptides.
Mia 15
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (142)
62.01%
I don't have everything I need (87)
37.99%

Watched Threads